Rug size for foals

Marigold4

Visit site
Sorry for all the questions but it's first time round with foals for me and you guys are very helpful! Next month my foal will be weaned and I would like to get a lightweight rug for her and for the companion foal. No idea on sizes. Foal one is connemara x warmblood currently 12.2; foal two is Welsh B and about 11.2. Any advice on what sizes to try please?

JBM

Visit site
I rugged my foal for 2 weeks but he was sick and the vet recommended it. He was inside and rugged.
I used a calf rug back then but for a 12.2 I’d be aiming for possibly a 2.6? Depends on their back
I wouldn’t rug if healthy

TGM

Visit site
Agree with the others that most foals will not need rugging. If you do need to rug for some specific reason then measure the foal for a rug the same way you do an adult horse. That is measure from the centre of the chest (where the rug buckles would be) in a straight line to the end of the hindquarters (where the rug would end). This length in feet and inches will give the the size of rug you require. You can't just guess from height and type because their conformation can vary so much.

If you do decide to buy a rug be aware that not all brands will fit foals nicely, some will gape at the chest. Best to choose one with lots of adjustability in the front fastenings so you can get a good fit.

Marigold4

Visit site
OK - I get the message! I WOULD rug my two unclipped other horses though if the weather is wet and cold because they would be miserable. My gelding in particular feels the cold and after a cold, wet night would be shivering without a rug in the morning. I appreciate the point about straps and dangers to the foal, but why would foals feel the cold and wet less than adult horses? Is their metabolism different? Do they have better coats? Or is it tradition that says don't rug a foal?

JBM

Visit site
Well connies and Welsh’s are two breeds I wouldn’t find to get cold as they grow a good coat
But if they have 0 shelter in their field I would rug at night or bring in
If they have shelter they should be perfect
once you start Rugging a horse they will need Rugging but if you don’t rug a horse they generally cope better at producing their own heat, in a healthy horse breed that grows a nice winter coat thin skinned horse breeds are different

TheMule

Visit site
OK - I get the message! I WOULD rug my two unclipped other horses though if the weather is wet and cold because they would be miserable. My gelding in particular feels the cold and after a cold, wet night would be shivering without a rug in the morning. I appreciate the point about straps and dangers to the foal, but why would foals feel the cold and wet less than adult horses? Is their metabolism different? Do they have better coats? Or is it tradition that says don't rug a foal?

Foals have an incredibly dense coat which we typically don’t brush the oils etc out of.
FWIW I think it is a useful skill for them to be able to wear a rug and my previous foals did wear a rug for approx 72 hours in their first winter as we had a properly freezing cold blizzard with a wind direction that they didn’t have shelter from. This lot haven’t worn a rug because their field has amazing shelter on all sides and ad-lib forage at all times. They've never been cold!

In answer to your original question, my smaller foal wore a 4'6 when around 9 months old. IMG_0112.jpeg

Asha

Visit site
In previous years I have rugged a foal if needed . Usually if it’s wet cold and windy . I start with a fleece on in the stable to see how they take to it . Then if all went well put a turnout on in stable . Then turnout . Size of rug totally depends on foal . I’d measure as someone above has suggested .
I’ve usually weaned by now , but this year both foals where born in June so are still on mum and coping well without anything
Colts are more of worry with rugs as they tend to jump all over mums , but fillies seem to be quieter

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes but they are regularly rugged horses that are used to rugs being on horses and foals with natural coats are fine out in all weather that's what it's for plus they will grow a wooly coat in winter, as ihatework said they are better off having a shelter or somewhere under cover because they sleep so much.

TGM

Visit site
Usually horses/ponies that are 'roughed off' cope better with winter wet than those that are ridden and/or groomed/bathed as these processes can strip the natural protective oils from the coat and this will go for the foals as well. I have four at home, the ridden ones who are currently unclipped are all rugged (partly for cleanliness reasons) whereas the retired pony is quite happy in the coat nature has provided her with, even in all the current heavy rain. With all things with horses we weigh up the pros and cons of everything we do, so in the case of part native foals personally I would opt for no rug given the likely dense coat and the risks of getting caught up in straps. Obviously, if a foal is unwell, underweight or really does seem to be struggling with wet/cold then you may need to rug, but I personally woudn't rug automatically.

Do you have some form of shelter, natural or otherwise in the field the foals will be in?

Marigold4

Visit site
Foals have an incredibly dense coat which we typically don’t brush the oils etc out of.
FWIW I think it is a useful skill for them to be able to wear a rug and my previous foals did wear a rug for approx 72 hours in their first winter as we had a properly freezing cold blizzard with a wind direction that they didn’t have shelter from. This lot haven’t worn a rug because their field has amazing shelter on all sides and ad-lib forage at all times. They've never been cold!

In answer to your original question, my smaller foal wore a 4'6 when around 9 months old. View attachment 125504
Lovely photo! I love their snowy noses! I think I'll probably get the foals a rug each for this winter and get them used to wearing it but try to keep them rug-free as much as possible.

Marigold4

Visit site
What weanlings really need is somewhere under cover to crash and dry out for a bit! Barn/shelter/temporary stabling.
Mine have a shelter with straw in it and my foal loves her shelter snoozing in it for hours. Her mum is going away soon at weaning so hopefully she and the companion foal will use the shelter together

Marigold4

Visit site
In previous years I have rugged a foal if needed . Usually if it’s wet cold and windy . I start with a fleece on in the stable to see how they take to it . Then if all went well put a turnout on in stable . Then turnout . Size of rug totally depends on foal . I’d measure as someone above has suggested .
I’ve usually weaned by now , but this year both foals where born in June so are still on mum and coping well without anything
Colts are more of worry with rugs as they tend to jump all over mums , but fillies seem to be quieter
Thanks for the useful advice on how to introduce the rugs. I'm only thinking of rugging once the foal's mum has gone away for weaning next month.

Marigold4

Visit site
I'm probably overthinking at the moment as my other horses have caught a virus (probably from the companion foal). My foal has now gone down with it and is coughing. We've had the vet out yesterday and we've put her on antibiotics to try to prevent a secondary infection. I'm bringing her in whenever it rains to keep her dry and hopefully reduce the risk of the virus getting worse.