Rug storage ideas

McFluff

Visit site
Any ideas for a way to hang up rugs in my allocated storage area? Can’t attach to walls so needs to be free standing. I’ve found a Stubbs rug master, but at just shy of £500, I think not.
I’ve currently got them hooked over my husbands kayak in the corner of my garage (he’s not noticed yet), but I’ll need to take them up to the yard, and the kayak can’t come too (he would notice that) and I don’t have a suitable corner to prop it up in.
Looking to be able to hang up 5 rugs, but a solution for even 2 would help.

Gift Horse

Visit site
You could message the seller and ask.
I hang my rugs on coat hooks screwed to the wall.
It’s a shame you can’t fix to the walls as its tricky to find something freestanding and robust enough. Another option is those metal hooks that hook over a door - if your storage area has a door.

Steerpike

Visit site
I use baler twine threaded through a thin bit of pipe tie the string to corners of stable and hang the rugs over that. Hope that makes sense!

McFluff

Visit site
Thank you for suggestions. Sadly its an old pony stall area - so solid brick walls to about 1m high (and we share the walls, so although you can drap over it goes into another persons space, and it doesn't really air the rug). Too thick for hooks. Nothing to tie to either (the bailer twine and pipe idea sounds good - and we had looked at whether we could attach similar to the roof, but it isn't strong enough for the weight of wet rugs!). Definitely has to be free-standing :-(

I have boxes, but I just think it is better to air the rugs... Will investigate whether hat stands are strong enough. I was looking at clothes airers, but they are all a bit too feeble and would cope with one, but not more. The only other thing I can think of is to use a tall set of step ladders. If only the Stubbs unit wasn't so eye-wateringly expensive!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Husband made a wooden rug airer to dry wet rugs. It opens out like step ladders so can be stored flat when not in use, but is long enough to hold 3 combos or several folded rugs.

Shoei

Visit site
Is it just for rugs that you are using? I don't like to hang rugs that are not in regular use because a. spiders live in them (bleugh) and b. a couple of years ago wasps moved into one and that was a right pain. I use big boxes to store mine in and these can be stacked.

McFluff

Visit site
Is it just for rugs that you are using? I don't like to hang rugs that are not in regular use because a. spiders live in them (bleugh) and b. a couple of years ago wasps moved into one and that was a right pain. I use big boxes to store mine in and these can be stacked.

Yikes to the wasps moving in... I'm terrified of wasps.

This is just for ones that will be in use, so a couple of outdoors plus one for stable. I clean them at end of the season then fold and store in plastic boxes which seems to work well. Just once they are muddy, the box system isn't so good.

I have ordered a hallway coat rack thing - says it can take 5KG per hook and 150KG overall. Thought it was worth a try at £35...arrives on Friday. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the ideas - great help.

Fanatical

Visit site
Do you mean for rugs that are in use or rugs that are just being stored out of season? For the latter I store mine in vacuum packed bags. Drop the rug/s in, suck the air out and then they stack nice and neatly taking up much less space.

Apologies if you mean for rugs in use as this clearly won't be any help!

J&S

Visit site
I have an old fashioned metal dress rail, good and solid, not the spindly modern sort. It was needing a home as it was causing trouble with OH in the garage so I said I would use it in the tack room. As soon as I put it together I realised what a great bit of kit it would be for hanging up either wet or dry rugs. On wheels so easily shifted and also shields the saddles from light through the window.