Rug Weight Question

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
My washing machine broke down before Christmas so I have become very familiar with my local laundrette. I'm thinking about taking the occasional stable rug in to wash there as they are too big to do at home but wondered how much they weight. Laundrette has a variety of machines from 6kg to a huge one that takes 15kg I think and a couple of sizes inbetween.

So I was wondering how much say a heavyweight stable rug would weigh or a mediumweight.

Anyone any thoughts

WelshD

Visit site
Hard to say as brands differ

If you have a set of bathroom scales you can weigh yourself then weigh again holding a rug to find out the difference?

Check the laundrette allows rug washing though as some take a very dim view! If you do use one maybe use a rug bag to prevent the next customer getting dirt/hair on their washing

criso

Visit site
Don't have scales unfortunately.

I live in a very urban bit of London, if I say I have horses, I may as well say I have dinosaurs for the baffled looks I get. They really wouldn't understand the implications of horse rugs. However the ones I'm thinking of are the nylon shiny types so don't really get hairs like the fleeces and cotton lined ones do so that should be OK.

xgemmax

Visit site
Hve tried to take a stable rug to launderettes before and think you'll find that most will not wash animal laundry :(

criso

Visit site
In horsey areas I have heard of ones that have no horse clothing sign on the windows and others than welcome them as it is a good regular source of income.

However that's not relevant here, they really don't check what you put in the machine or seem to particularly care. Half the time there's no attendant there. I saw lots of people clearly overloading the machines and people bringing stuff that they didn't want to put in their home machines which was no worse than horsey stuff.

The only time they step in is when someone has left their washing or drying and wandered off while people are waiting. Then they'll tell you to empty it and deal with the annoyed person who finds their stuff has been moved.

I don't want to overload the machines, however I don't want to monopolise the big machine which everyone likes if I can get away with a medium size one hence the question.