Rugby Pelham v. Pelhams

Kafairia

Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if there is that much difference? Me being cheap to be honest - buying a cheap one on eBay to try out on my boy, I can't buy from any local tack stores as I'm looking for a French link / lozenge Pelham, and everywhere I've checked only sell Mullens / plastic ones and ones with ports, not what I'm looking for.

Basically - the rugby Pelhams are cheaper in his size (regular Pelhams in his size sold out so would have to go for a more expensive brand) and I was wondering if there was that much difference?

He's currently in an Eggbutt / hackamore as that's the only one that fits him, and I'll be using double reins rather than roundings as its on rare occasions I just need that little extra. He gets along with the curb action on the hackamore, he can be extremely strong being exracer so I think this is the best option (trying a Pelham).

I have spoke with Heather at NS a few months back. :)

Crackerz

Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if there is that much difference? Me being cheap to be honest - buying a cheap one on eBay to try out on my boy, I can't buy from any local tack stores as I'm looking for a French link / lozenge Pelham, and everywhere I've checked only sell Mullens / plastic ones and ones with ports, not what I'm looking for.

Basically - the rugby Pelhams are cheaper in his size (regular Pelhams in his size sold out so would have to go for a more expensive brand) and I was wondering if there was that much difference?

He's currently in an Eggbutt / hackamore as that's the only one that fits him, and I'll be using double reins rather than roundings as its on rare occasions I just need that little extra. He gets along with the curb action on the hackamore, he can be extremely strong being exracer so I think this is the best option (trying a Pelham).

I have spoke with Heather at NS a few months back. :)

Rugby pelhams are a MASSIVE pet hate of mine, so bulky and ugly. no idea why anyone would want to use one when a normal pelham is no more expensive and looks much neater and has a better feel. (The 'snaffle' ring on a rugby is a horrible feel through the reins imo - very disjointed)

If you're not using it for the show ring and only need a little extra, might it be worth trying something like a Kimblewick? (Although maybe difficult to find a jointed one!)

If i were you, i'd keep looking online for a normal pelham, i can't rage about rugby pelhams anymore haha :)

Damnation

Visit site
I have been told that a Rugby Pelham can be very confusing for a horse, especially if this is your horse's first time in a Pelham.

I'd stick to a normal Pelham as they are more fixed they tend to give a clearer message to the horse from what I have been told. Also, wouldn't you need an extra headpiece or double bridle for a Rugby Pelham?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
agree with crackerz I am not a fan of the rugby Pelham for all the same reasons horrible bulky bit that does not look pretty.

The thing with jointed pelhams is the joint then makes the curb action not work properly so it sort of defeats the object, I use myler pelhams on my horses for showing I find the mouth piece smaller and the whole bit just looks neater and they have a shorter shank, but both of my horses have very soft sensitive mouths.

so for your horse as his strong I would try a mullen or a port I think you will find the jointed pelham does not offer you much more control than you already have.

Tapir

Visit site
as soon as a jointed pelham bends in the mouth, the curb chain loosens and any curb action is lost. Definitely try a mullen or a port rather than a jointed pelham.