Rugging a foal ?

k1w1

Visit site
I have just brought a 6 month old knabstrupper x trakehner filly and would love if people could give me advice on whether I should be rugging her up this winter. She will be out in the day and in at night any advice would be appreciated
:)

Foxhunter49

Visit site
There is absolutely no need to rug a foal at all. They grow an extra thick coat and are into enough mischief trying to hurt themselves without giving them more ammo!

I have TB foals and they are never rugged. They are all still out at the moment and not getting any hay as they are not eating it. They will come in when the weather turns wet but until then they are out!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Just an add on.

People are under the misapprehension that horses will need rugs when the weather gets cold. Unless they are clipped, they do not. Any stock will cope well with sub zero temperatures as long as they have access to hay/haylage. They will happily be out grazing or picking over hay during the coldest night.
What will make them cold is the driving wet - then they will stand under a hedge, tails to the wind and shivering like crazy - then I think they are better off inside or rugged.

MindBUZZler

New User
Visit site
I agree with the thought that foals even if kept out day and night do not need a rug. They cope really well with the cold (as long as the get enough to eat of course) but I have to admit with the very bad rain we have been having that I put a rug on our this year's Trakehner/ Dutch Warmblood foal because he was shivering. You certainly have to watch the rugs for size.

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
I have seen evidence of nerve damage from rugs. Shoulders are particularly prone,although anywhere where the rug makes constant contact is likely to be affected..
In a growing youngster a well fitted rug is not going to stay that way long there is more likely to cause damage.

As Foxhunter 49 says, foals grow fabulous coats(as do grown up horses!) and do not need rugs.

a kind of magic

Visit site
We only rug if it's really needed. 4 winters ago when my hubby's mare was a foal we left her unrugged with the others, all with an ad-lib mix of hay and haylage. We got there one day and she was literally stood shivering, and was very grumpy. We managed to borrow a stable overnight for her to dry off (this was not a possibility for a regular occurrence) and then went out the next day and got her a rug.

We really didn't have a choice in the matter though as I wasn't prepared to leave her shivering, it was a very wet winter! When it was dry and very cold (snow and ice) she was fine but as soon as the wet AND cold arrived that was it for her. :)

Dolcé

Visit site
We are having to rug our foal because she seems to have inherited the same skin condition her half brother had (needless to say we will not be breeding from the mare again as it would seem she carries something) and can't tolerate getting wet. I managed to get a foal rug that adjusts by 6 inches so will hopefully fit for a while, haven't tried it yet so can't comment on fit but it is an Horseware Amigo (m/w) and was £28. Just thought that might be useful info if anyone is having to look for one. I wouldn't normally rug a foal though!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I don't like to rug foals because mine always come in at night from beginning of November anyway but if you do, I've found that Rhino Wugs are easier than most rugs for fitting. You can get a bigger size and the end just sticks out over the bum while the shoulders are a snug fit which you don't get in a normal shaped rug; neck covers are totally unnecessary too, just more for them to get caught up on IMO.

Enfys

Visit site
There is absolutely no need to rug a foal at all. They grow an extra thick coat and are into enough mischief trying to hurt themselves without giving them more ammo!

I have TB foals and they are never rugged. They are all still out at the moment and not getting any hay as they are not eating it. They will come in when the weather turns wet but until then they are out!

Most of my horses are rugged at the moment, not something I usually do at this time of year, but we have had howling gales and non-stop rain for two days. The horses have shelters but you can't force them to use it can you?

Yes foals do get extra thick coats, but right now none of mine, young or older, have quite got there yet. The youngsters were tucked up and shaking, and some of the mares were too...all much happier with blankets on now.

I don't give a flying fig what breed or age a horse is, what the temperature, weather, or date is, if a horse is cold and/or losing condition then it is irresponsible not to do something about it, and if that something is as simple as popping a rug on for a bit while the weather is foul then so be it! :)

Last edited:

abina

Visit site
Just an add on.

People are under the misapprehension that horses will need rugs when the weather gets cold. Unless they are clipped, they do not. Any stock will cope well with sub zero temperatures as long as they have access to hay/haylage. They will happily be out grazing or picking over hay during the coldest night.
What will make them cold is the driving wet - then they will stand under a hedge, tails to the wind and shivering like crazy - then I think they are better off inside or rugged.

perfectly said !!

foxy1

Visit site
I'm going to be rugging mine and my friend who breeds also rugs hers.
I find the saxon turnouts good for an older foal as they are not too deep, or rhino wug as suggested are superb.

Vickijay

Visit site
I have rugged my babies before (there is even a picture in my signature!!!) I only tended to rug them when it is very cold and wet together. If it's just wet, still naked or freezing cold, still naked. But cold and wet I rugged. Try not to rug too early though or they won't grow a coat. When I went to put extra rugs on the grown up, clipped horses on weds night my OH said what about the yearling. He felt her and she was warm as toast in her own not that fluffy yet coat!

mcrobbiena

Visit site
all my beastys have massive coats, I brought them in the other night when we had torrential rain and a big temp drop but they looked like they would have been fine, they were popping to go out again in the morning and not one of their coats was wet through. The foals ears were cold which is why I brought them in but her body was toasty. I am hoping they will all stay out all winter in scotland but we have stables if they need too and I can see them from the kitchen window so I should see when they really need in, just have to not be weak. They grow a coat for the conditions provided they are not interfered with and are given plenty food.

Ladylina83

Visit site
I rugged my lad - not so much while he was on his Mum but then when he was weaned and it was -12 he dropped quite a bit of weight ! I found this helped

As a yearling he is now on 24/7 TO in a LW - he'll come in at night after christmas so I can do some work with him and get his coat down as our first breeders show is the end of March

Damnation

Visit site
Unless it is a paticularly thin foal I wouldn't bother, especially if foaley is coming in at night for good forage. Foals grow alot of fuzz in the winter!

Poppys Nannan

Visit site
I am in a quandry re : rugging my foal, i feel like i should.

She is a coloured foal so obviously getting dirty all the time, so kinda thought rugging her will help keep her a bit cleaner, but then thought thats not for her sake its for mine - so not right reason to do it !!!

Her coat is growing but i am worried about grooing her as i feel as if i am brushing her coat away - so now just stroking rather than brushing - what do others do - groom or not ?
rug or not ?

cheers

Echo Bravo

Visit site
With foxhunter49 with this.If the foal is stabled at night and well fed in bad weather, mine have never been rugged when very young and my latest foal won't either, he's got a good layer of meat on him, nice thick straw bed at night and as much as he can eat.:):):)