Rugging a Welsh Cob

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi everyone,

My girls are currently unrugged and live out all year round, but yesterday we spent a good 45 mins trying to get the caked on mud off of them before going for a ride. I'm planning to clip my Welsh Cob and New Forest Pony (just a bib clip as it's their first one). The problem is, I've always use those Robinsons Requisite turnouts (around £50) and they're ok, but by the end of the winter both the girls have rub marks on their chests (not sore, but patches that look like they've been clipped). Of course now I'm worried that if we clip them they will get very sore wearing those rugs, since they won't have any hair there to start with.

So, to the point! Can you recommend a turnout (around £50 but can go a little higher) that should fit a Welsh Cob (and also consider the NF pony). I think the current offending rugs have a 250g filling (not 100% sure though) but I'm keen to get a slightly lighter weight rug. The Welsh Cob doesn't have a very good winter coat, whereas the NF pony looks like a polar bear!

Heading to Your Horse Live in a fortnight so hope to have a look up there.

Thanks!

kal40

Visit site
Our welshie has an amigo t/o but all of ours wear vests underneath and I never have any problems with rubbing.

vicksey

Visit site
I like the shires and weatherbeeta rugs for my cob. Plenty of room in the shoulder, i'd say weathrebeeta are a lil more generous in size.

pottamus

Visit site
My Welsh cob has had the same weatherbeeta rug every winter for 7 years and it has been excellant...not the cheapest brand but you do get what you pay for generally.

crazycoloured

Visit site
i really like the weatherbeeta rugs.fit my cob perfectly and as mentioned a little more generous in size. Found the amigos not a good fit for my cob.think i paid £60.00 for my rug its a 250 gram 600 denier with a neck piece and dosent rub her at all.the amigo rubbed her shoulders terribly weatherbeeta dosent.

star

Visit site
i have mark todds on both my welshies. one is massive in the shoulders and has his on the loosest front setting, the other is much narrower and has his on the shortest setting and they fit both fabulously. i have the whole set of them for both of them and love them! they nevr rub like a lot of my old rugs used to. other thing thats good if you dont want to splash out on new rugs is a bossy's bib - they're brilliant!

trendybraincell

Visit site
Another vote 4 whetherbeeta, have 3 turnouts for my D and they are fantastic fit and never rubbed. I do also have a shires lightweight but found that not the best fit. For me amigo aren't generous enough at the front and shoulder.

p.s. I always use Bossys bibs under rugs fantastic for all rug rubs.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Just buy a couple of bossy bibs - far cheaper than geting new rugs (unless you have to for whatever reason)!
grin.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
My welsh cob was rugged in Weatherbeeta's, they're really good. He wore the Orican through the whole winter (he was clipped) no problem at all. No rubs. He also wore an Amigo in the spring but destroyed it pretty quickly...!