Rugging a yearling

sanchob

Visit site
I have an 18 month old colt that I bred he is very well handled loves being groomed and leads really well. I had a rug on him as a foal a few times which he was fine with, I’ve since had a little fleece rug on him and he is super chilled! I’ve been trying to get him used to a turn out sheet, he is fine in the stable and I can lead him round the yard and chuck it on and off no problem. The problem we have is when I let him go in the field he is suddenly terrified of it! He walks down the long track to the field, and will stand fine for a while then he will go to trot off and panic! Last time he run in a blind panic through all the fence and then stood trembling when I finally managed to catch him. I’ve since had it on again in the yard fine, and have taken it on and off a lot to try and get him used to it, but I don’t know how to go about letting him out with it on in the field again if anyone has any ideas to try? Thank you!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Why do you need to Rug a yearling?
We have never rugged ours, so am curious to know why you woudl want to?
i would definately not turn him out in a rug with that reaction, too.

windand rain

Visit site
I wouldn't rug him either but he should learn to wear one at some point leave it for now then try again next year. My guess is he is scred when he goes faster and still goes with him so maybe try trotting in hand etc to get him used to the rug moving with him

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've never rugged youngstock outdoors as it's a huge safety issue.
Occasionally if in a stable, just to get the feel of a rug and straps but only when under supervision and never left unattended overnight in a rug in a stable.

I'd leave it OP, re address later on.

paddy555

Visit site
I would approach it from 2 directions. Firstly if he is happy in the fleece rug turn him out in that, it will wash. It may not be crinkly and flappy so he may be happier and get used to being rugged in the field. It will probably be much smaller and tighter so less to flap around as well.
Then I would reconsider a turn out sheet. If it is a sheet it could be crinkly and flappy but a lined rug may not be. I would "lunge" him in a turnout sheet first in an enclosed space where you can grab him. Obviously not real lunging but just moving further and further away from you and then I would run him up and down in the sheet.

You could do other things as well, get a tarpaulin, get him walking over it, then put it over his back and have him walk in it, pull it to the ground, through his legs etc. Put it over his head, let it fall off deliberately so he just gets bored with the whole thing.

I taught my foal to be rugged and thank goodness I did. At 9 months old he was in horse hospital and they didn't know if he would live the first night. He needed to be rugged to keep him warm. He was in an isolation unit and I am sure the grooms did check him through the night but luckily I knew he was completely safe in a rug thanks to his training. When he came home he had to be rugged in the field, there was no choice. By that time he was an old pro at rugging. :D

sport horse

Visit site
Bred horses for over 40 years and never needed to rug a yearling, 2 year old or 3 year old!! Nor would I consider it - it they really needed special consideration they would be brought into a barn or stable for part of the day/night and feeding.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My youngsters didn’t wear a rug until they were broken and had their first clip. I did show them rugs and chuck them over them to accustom them to a rug.

My biggest fear with rugging young stock is the fact that baby horses play, and generally play rough. It is so easy to end up with a trashed rug being pulled over heads or tangled around legs, resulting in a panicked horse running blind.

Having had the privilege of visiting many TB studs over the years I have never seen youngstock rugged and those were studs breeding million pound plus foals. They all lived out and came into huge barns if the weather was really poor.

eggs

Visit site
I don’t routinely rug youngsters either but did once on Vet’s advice for a poorly foal. However like you they do learn to wear a rug even though they are not turned out in them.

I find that rain sheets can be noisier than heavier weight rugs.

My friend’s youngster was used to wearing a lightweight rug and had been lunged whilst wearing it. However the first time she was turned outing she had a complete panic attack and ended up jumping out of the field and colliding with a wall. She has not been turned out in a rug since.