Rugging up older horses - keeping OAP's warm

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's 'old age ponies' of course. ;)

I have increasing found that my chestnut mare needs to be kept warm far more than she did even a couple of years ago. I thought that I had adjusted sufficiently by making sure that she has 100g more compared to what she has previously needed. However this wasn't enough today. It's approx 7 deg C and light rain and I had to put on a heavyweight (300g) to keep her from shivering.

They aren't on much grass (the other two are dieting) but she is eating her hard feeds (yay!) and they have a hay feeder which is filled as required so they always have forage available.

I guess this is just a part of her getting older. She looks great, is bright and alert, she just feels the cold more.

*tries not to worry too much*

Winters100

Visit site
Don't worry about it, mine is the same. Generally in 100 to 150g heavier rug than the others and needs 5 feeds a day to keep her in the condition that I want. In anything more than a slight drizzle she goes to the shelter and stays out of it, even though she is usually wearing a rug with a neck if it is raining. That having been said she obviously feels good in herself and is full of energy, so I think it is nothing to worry about.

SEL

Visit site
Even my Ardennes appreciates a warmer set of PJs in bad weather now he's an old man. Got caught out the other night and he was stiff and grumpy in the morning ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I found this with my old horse, when he retired I sold all his big rugs, thought process being that he wouldn’t ever be clipped out again so I’d buy better quality light weights with the proceeds!
I found as he got older I was rebuying warmer stuff for him ?‍♀️

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
All mine are in rugs with necks today. Older horses do find it harder to regulate their body temperature.

We nearly lost the ancient pony (40+) in a May day just like this many years ago. He had his summer coat, and my mum was horse sitting while we were away camping. I hadn't thought to leave instructions for rugs, as it was May... We didn't have the field shelters then.

Whilst we were holed up against the wind and the rain in the trailer tent on Anglesey, back at home the ancient pony got chilled out in the field, went down and gave up. My mum, bless her, cajoled him up and got him into a stable and put a rug on him. He soon perked up and we got a year or or two more from him.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Difficulty regulating temperature can be cushings. But also, this time of year is tricky. My dartmoor pony has lost all her winter coat, but this last fortnight we've had hail and sleet, temps below freezing, and all with a strong wind and I've had to put a rug on her when I've seen her shivering. And then I've had to force myself not to put a rug on the Shetland, who is still as hairy as a yak!

Britestar

Visit site
I just rug according to weather and horse. 2 really old ones are happy naked. 2 x24yrs both like to be cosy, so in 200g at moment.
12yr old hates being cold and is horrid to ride if he is, so had at least a no fill if not a 100g on until its much warmer.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Rog was like that, once he got to mid 20s. Wore a rug all year round the last couple of years.
It kept him happier having it on.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Even my young Fell pony was shivering today. I think the fact that they've lost most of their winter coat now means they're feeling the wet and cold more.

I've completely given up on us having any kind of spring this year.

SEL

Visit site
Even my young Fell pony was shivering today. I think the fact that they've lost most of their winter coat now means they're feeling the wet and cold more.

I rugged my little dales pony too - it's miserable out

Griffin

Visit site
I rugged my mare who is a very good doer today and her more elderly field mate due to the weather. Both are quite round but it is so wet and cold, I decided it was better to rug them (no necks) because I am not a fan of letting horses get very cold and wet if they can't get out of the weather.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I completely agree that wind + rain + cold weather strips the warmth out of horses. :)

It's just a bit of a contrast when the other two are in 50g rugs and warm, although they are 10 plus years younger and that is clearly making a big difference these days.

Visit site

Don't know where in the country you are but today is the first horrible day we have had in weeks,.it's been dryer than the desert and we have bugger all grass

Spotherisk

Visit site
I made the mistake of sticking a waterproof fly rug on Harley as despite being nearly 29 he hasn’t had a rug on for over a month and I wanted to keep him dry. Poxy rug let all the rain through and now he’s snuggled up in a full neck 100g and looking much happier.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I made the mistake of sticking a waterproof fly rug on Harley as despite being nearly 29 he hasn’t had a rug on for over a month and I wanted to keep him dry. Poxy rug let all the rain through and now he’s snuggled up in a full neck 100g and looking much happier.

It's so disappointing when a rug lets you down. Glad he's much happier now. :)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We haven't even got the worst of the weather here but I've wrapped my little oldie up in her heavier rug tonight. Just so she doesn't have to work too hard to stay cosy. She's coming out of winter a little light and the grass isn't coming through much yet.

Lucky788

Visit site
I found this with my old horse, when he retired I sold all his big rugs, thought process being that he wouldn’t ever be clipped out again so I’d buy better quality light weights with the proceeds!
I found as he got older I was rebuying warmer stuff for him ?‍♀️

same for me!!
I have noticed my older horse who never felt the cold has appreciated being rugged this year. It’s also a lot colder than usual for this time of year (I feel anyway)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Who knew that bright sun and hail at the same time was a thing!? The weather today has managed that combination on several occasions. Chestnut mare is in a 100g Amigo and I hope that was the right choice for that weather.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Totally bonkers weather - hailstones here in Ireland are enormous ?

My ISH is in her 200g today - no neck though coz am trying in vain to get her mane back after the winter in combos before the fly rug goes on ?

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I think it depends who you ask, just dont ask one of my neighbours who thinks its acceptable to leave her two oldies in rugs, sweating, when it was reaching 17-18 degress the other week and when she finally took their rugs off its been cold and wet ever since .. and guess what .. not a rug in sight, even when we had that horrendous weather on Monday!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think it depends who you ask, just dont ask one of my neighbours who thinks its acceptable to leave her two oldies in rugs, sweating, when it was reaching 17-18 degress the other week and when she finally took their rugs off its been cold and wet ever since .. and guess what .. not a rug in sight, even when we had that horrendous weather on Monday!

:( :( :(