Rugging- When does it become silly!?

AngieandBen

Visit site
Whilst i dont agree with over rugging and ive never heard of a duvet being put on a horse i dont agree with those who say all horses can go unrugged.I have a TBx that lives out 24/7 unclipped wearing a lightweight rug he has shelter but only seems to use it in the summer to get away from the flies.He cannot cope with the wind and rain and shivers terribly if not rugged if i was to leave him unrugged he would look like a plate rack in no time.Hes also got arthritis in both stifle joints and needs to be kept warm and dry as cold and damp is very painful for arthritic joints!

I don't think anyone has said all horses can go rugless, its those with chunky natives which are unclipped that I frown upon , then they wonder why they are still fat going into spring the next year!

SNORKEY

Visit site
God I'd be worried my horse would pass out from over heating putting duvets on! That's way ott in my opinion. I have an Anglo Arab x in a lightweight at night at the mo, and our Irish sports horse and cob only have light weights on when it rains heavy or is about 8 degrees or less.

EnduroRider

Visit site
My TB is already wearing a medium weight combo under rug and medium weight stable rug at night in attempt to keep weight on him (plus ad lib haylage and 4 feeds a day). However on the other hand the anglo x stock horse 4 year old is still naked. I dont get why it matters what anyone else does with their horse as they all vary, just do what is required for the individual.

joshesmum

Visit site
I don't think anyone has said all horses can go rugless, its those with chunky natives which are unclipped that I frown upon , then they wonder why they are still fat going into spring the next year!
A few comments have been made that horses can go rugless if they have plenty of forage and shelter that all depends how hardy they are,mines a bit of a pansy.

SNORKEY

Visit site
Why would you clip a hairy native just to keep its weight down for the spring! I wouldn't clip my 2yr old cob! That's a bit mean keeping a horse cold all winter to control weight when the diet and grazing should be looked at instead.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Just thought I'd add to my earlier comments. I have no issue with people rugging their horses.
There are many justifications, horse health, metabolism, even just to keep them clean!
I just simply cannot stand people throwing rug after rug on a horse and then wondering why it shivers without them! To have a horse in a HW, never mind with other rugs underneath at this time of year is just ridiculous.

My lad is in an Amigo rainsheet. He's in it merely to keep the rain off his back as there isn't a great deal of shelter where he's positioned atm. He is a native type (dam native, sire unknown) but he also loses weight in winter if not appropriately managed. The heaviest weight I have for him is a MW.

X

xspiralx

Are you able to check him throughout the day?? a full neck medium weight when the temp in the day is 15deg.......:eek:

A friend of mine has a LY - she obv has to do what the owners require, they are saying its cold in the morning so want full neck mw/hw rugs on. They are not there at 10 when the sun has come out and is microwaving the poor beggars!

Not during the week but I am around during the day at weekends - not once has he been too warm in this rug even in the middle of the day. I reiterate that there is very little grass in the field and it is quite small - the horses tend to spend most of the time standing still so they aren't moving around and eating to keep warm.

Shooting Star

Visit site
Very much an each to their own topic but from my perspective I always aim to rug to the bare minimum needed (generally last to start using a rug and first to go naked :D), do not currenly own a heavyweight, only use neck covers in totally foul weather and clip to the work that the horse does and not to suit my own vanity which means a trace is about as far as I go!

We have a few on the yard that are already in a medium weight and a fleece or lightweight underneath - only 1 has been clipped and that is a native type, it seems total madness to me:(

jaye1780

Visit site
I read somewhere (cannot remember where) that layering rugs causes them to be less effective as they are not designed to be layered and that an appropriate weight rug should be used instead. It does make sense when you look at the design etc of a rug. I have layered my horses rugs in the past but since reading this followed the advice of appropriate weight rug and found my horse was just as warm and happy :) Not saying that works for every horse and owner but for me it did.

Queenbee

Visit site
I remember it became 'silly' when another livery with a horse diagnosed with shivers rugged her horse up with 2 heavy weight stable rugs and a thick duvet underneath, because his condition made him cold:( He was dripping with sweat most mornings, and concerned words fell on deaf ears as she was an 'instructor who had qualifications' sometimes when he was literally sweating we would remove one layer, to help, she would always go ballistic. Don't get me wrong, she loved this horse, but was killing it with it with misplaced kindness.

haras

Visit site
I hate over-rugging with a passion. However, I have almost lost a native pony that was in a medium weight rug to hypothermia on a wet day too.

I have very little shelter, which unfortunatly I can do nothing about. My ponies come in at night. None are in work so they are unclipped. 2 are arabs (11 year old who's got a poor immune system and has had colic surgery and a yearling) 1 part bred arab x native who has cushings and a native pony.

They are in at night to try to save the field a bit as its so wet, but are in lightweights only at the moment, except the arab mare, who is usually in one weight rug more than the others, so shes in her 100g turnout. I usually leave turnouts on at night as well, as I don't see the point in changing them into cold rugs unless the temperature is expected to drop a lot.

I give ab lib hay when they are in and very little hard feed.

I have a lot of rugs, but certainly don't over rug. In fact, last winter, I was advised by a vet that my horses could probably all do with an extra rug as it was getting very cold at night and they were living out, but, as i said to the vet, I'd rather a bit too cold than too warm. The most mine will get is a heavyweight combo for the arabs and part bred in the worst of the weather. The native only has a lightweight and a medium weight for awful days, and shes not seeing that until shes dropped some weight!

I know of someone who puts up to 5 rugs on unclipped stabled horses at night. totally bonkers!

AngieandBen

Visit site
Why would you clip a hairy native just to keep its weight down for the spring! I wouldn't clip my 2yr old cob! That's a bit mean keeping a horse cold all winter to control weight when the diet and grazing should be looked at instead.

If its cold then you would obviously rug, but a native unclipped overweight horse, I would neither clip nor rug, they are supposed to lose weight over winter but often don't simply because people feel mean not rugging!

Spotsrock

Visit site
I'm keeping my girl out as long as possible this year as i'm still not right from my injury earlier in the year so keen not to muck out too many. Additionally out is best place for tb win had ulcers when he arrived. I will bring them in at night when it drops below 0 or if it doesn't stop raining long enough for them to dry out though. They did have mid weights on but both felt cold to touch so have a light to mid on top of their mid at night which I take off in the day as temperature rises. They seem happy and holding a good weight. My old dear is in a stable rug with waterproof over the top when she goes out. Coblet grew up in a lady's kitchen so very nesh. In winter she'll be in heavy weight with full neck stable rug and thermolux under it but it's what she's happy in.

Spit That Out

Visit site
It becomes silly when the owner doesn't listen to their horse and either over or under rugs.
This thread is mostly going on about people who over rug which is just as bad as someone who under rugs and leave their horses cold, wet and miserable.

Each horse is different and just because something works for one it doesn't work for all.

Rugging manufacturers aren't daft and like any product try and sell you something you probably don't need but that's no different to the manufactures of the latest gadget which will get your horse going correctly but we all know if used incorrectly could damage your horse or the latest feed to be introduced to the market which promises to calm, make fizzy your horse but if fed wrong will lead to obese animals but it's the latest thing to hit the shops so people buy it.

Rugs are the same, people worry that their horse is cold and instead of buying the correct weight they go straight for the H/W and when they go to their horse in the morning that has sweated its fur off then go and buy a M/W, if they had just thought about it first they would have only needed the one rug in the first place.
People who clip and then chuck their horses out with nothing on to help them lose weight by shivering are just as guilty as the over ruggers as no horse should be left without protection against the elements even if it was a light weight sheet to keep the rain off...or if you want your horse to lose weight stop shoving buckets of the latest feed down its gob and ride it.

That is all...now stepping off my soap box!!

touchstone

Visit site
People who clip and then chuck their horses out with nothing on to help them lose weight by shivering are just as guilty as the over ruggers as no horse should be left without protection against the elements even if it was a light weight sheet to keep the rain off...or if you want your horse to lose weight stop shoving buckets of the latest feed down its gob and ride it.

That is all...now stepping off my soap box!!

My native is clipped and out with no rug. :)

However it is a bib and belly clip and I fail to see that a rug would make any difference as those parts wouldn't be protected anyway, she would simply overheat due to her thick 'natural' coat elsewhere. She isn't cold or shivering and isn't fed huge bucket feeds, just plenty of good quality forage.
The clip makes her able to work without getting soaked and also makes her use her forage for warmth instead of increasing fat while keeping her gut active and filled as it should be. Works for me! If she was cold or shivering she would be rugged accordingly, but the only time I tend to find it might be necessary is when we get prolonged cold/wet weather when her winter coat isn't fuly through or she's getting her summer coat.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I just laugh when I see people rug in the West Country. It's been mostly 15 degrees and rarely goes down below 8 here. This weekend is meant to get nearer 0 but is forecast dry.

This is only England and we don't see Scandinavian temperatures very often.

Maybe in Scotland or northern England you could be forgiven for rugging even then I would only do it for the old and sick.

If I were show jumping or doing dressage this season then that would be entirely different. My main aim of rugging would be to keep my competition horse clean and replace its insulation I took away by clipping. One thick rug is enough and I would spend the money buying a lightweight insulating rug rather than layer lots of heavy rugs.

But I'm not competing so horses can use their fantastic coat properties to keep warm. No rug can replace the advanced thermoregulation horses have naturally.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a 19 year old TB X Welsh D and she lives out 24/7 unrugged with no problems at all but my Welsh D who already has a coat like a teddy bear cannot bear the rain and he will stand and shiver so if it is wet he wears a lightweight rug with no filling just to keep the poor thing dry, even in the summer he gets cold if it is wet so occasionaly like this summer when it has been wet he will wear his waterproofs even though through all the really cold dry weather over winter a few years ago he went unrugged quite happily. :)

Spit That Out

Visit site
My native is clipped and out with no rug. :)

However it is a bib and belly clip and I fail to see that a rug would make any difference as those parts wouldn't be protected anyway, she would simply overheat due to her thick 'natural' coat elsewhere. She isn't cold or shivering and isn't fed huge bucket feeds, just plenty of good quality forage.
The clip makes her able to work without getting soaked and also makes her use her forage for warmth instead of increasing fat while keeping her gut active and filled as it should be. Works for me! If she was cold or shivering she would be rugged accordingly, but the only time I tend to find it might be necessary is when we get prolonged cold/wet weather when her winter coat isn't fuly through or she's getting her summer coat.

My point exactly... You do what works for you and your horse which might not ok for someone else/another horse but you do what works for you. However there are folks out there that think that covering every inch with rugs two or three deep are just as bad who clip out , over feed, under rug then chuck their horses out to freeze.

Each to their own.

Lill

Visit site
I have only just, this weekend put a turnout rug on.

He's out 24/7 and probably will be all through winter. Clipped chaser clip at the weekend and now has a MW with no neck. I have a thicker HW also with no neck, but he probably won't be wearing that until late december/january!

Moomin1

Visit site
My WB girl is still out naked, hasn't been a day when she has felt cold, looked cold or shown any different behaviour. She has been out rain, shine, wind.

I have nothing against rugging, and have plenty of rugs in the tack room for when it's right, but to be putting HW rugs on in 15 degree heat is insane. For goodness sake we can walk around in a t shirt in that temp!! :(

People wonder why their horses cannot cope without all these rugs on, when it's the people themselves causing it by over rugging them!! If you put three anoraks on a child in 15 degree heat you would probably have a visit from social services, and not only that you would make your child shiver like crazy without them in mild temperatures because they wouldn't be used to it! Stupid, stupid, stupid!:mad:

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
My two still naked, 18 month old cob won't have a rug unless its completly dire, even then its only a 50grm one and my tb that grows a coat like a yak will be naked too, the heaviest he has is 100grm and he was toasty in that all last winter. My thin coated tb that has gone point to pointing lived in a mediumweight all last winter and there wasn't a day when he was cold. I think some people forget that ponies have a layer of fluff unlike us. If I need a heavier rug I will get one but err on the side that tiny bit too chilly is far far better than roasting. Must be the most unconfortable feeling ever.

Firewell

Visit site
I think it depends on the horses. I think natives and ponys and more draught types don't need many rugs. Maybe one when it gets really snowy or rainey. My ponys when I was little never wore rugs. The only time they did wear a rug was if they were clipped mid winter and then they had one little rug each.

Clipped TB and WB competition horses are different and do require rugs, they are not bred for their ability to winter out (unlike the natives!). They need the extra rugs to keep them warm when they do not have the coats, physique or the metabolism to help them. I don't think this has changed much either. When I was small my mums blood horses were wrapped up in several blankets and stable rugs mid winter unlike my hairy pony.

It's when people keep their natives and their cobs like they are throughbreds which baffles me. If I had a hairy horse i'd love the fact they they could winter out with minimum rugging and food!
No wonder everyone is complaining that their horses are too fat and fresh.
It makes me chuckle inside when I see the liverys at my yard wrapping up their hairy ponys in more rugs than my TB is wearing.

UKa

community.webshots.com
My WB girl is still out naked, hasn't been a day when she has felt cold, looked cold or shown any different behaviour. She has been out rain, shine, wind.

I have nothing against rugging, and have plenty of rugs in the tack room for when it's right, but to be putting HW rugs on in 15 degree heat is insane. For goodness sake we can walk around in a t shirt in that temp!! :(

People wonder why their horses cannot cope without all these rugs on, when it's the people themselves causing it by over rugging them!! If you put three anoraks on a child in 15 degree heat you would probably have a visit from social services, and not only that you would make your child shiver like crazy without them in mild temperatures because they wouldn't be used to it! Stupid, stupid, stupid!:mad:
Maybe maybe.... I come from a tradition where we never even owned any rug (I grew up in Germany, it got considerably cold in the winter - we had WBs and some ponies at the yards I was). SO I went out and thought my little TB mare could cope with little or no rugging in many temperatures, but I have been proven wrong over the years. She just doesn't seem to be able to cope so I keep her nice and snug in her rugs - it's either that or she suffers from getting cold muscles and losing weight. So I have learnt that horses too can be different. I would like to think that if I ever got another one I would try and test minimum first again and if needed add up though. The silliest thing I find is when Shetland ponies wear rugs...

Blue-eyed_mare

New User
Visit site
Compeltely agree - our tb is rugged more heavily than the cobs because he drops weight easily - there's no point in loading him up with cereals to try and keep hi weight up when I can simply put a rug on him, to keep him warm and this helps prevent the weight lose.

Also I find that rugging, within reason, early on in the autumn/winter actually prevents my mare growing as much winter coat so I have to clip less because she's not sweating up when being worked.

Our unclipped cobs are out in medium weights at the moment but in any less than that when they come in they're cold (feeling between hind legs) but they're on a pretty exposed hill field in the North - completely different from the rugs I'd use if we were further south in a sheltered field.

i would think that this would be more healthy for him than packing him full of cereals when there digestive system is designed to eat fibre

Blue-eyed_mare

New User
Visit site
the only horses that need rugs on are horses that loose condition easliy, clipped horses, and ones that are ill other than that they don't need them on not even tbs (aslong as they dont loose lots of condition), there are far too many horses over rugged these days ive seen unworked hairy horse in a heavyweight stable rug with a summer sheet already and last night was the 1st night there was a frost, my fully clipped horse has only had a summer sheet added to her medium weight full neck otherwise im going to have 5 rugs on when it minus 10 which i dont want to do

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I think rugs are a reflection of owner-vanity. I'm sure in some yards it's a competition of who has the best/thickest/pinkest/most rugs.

:D

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Bit of a sweeping statement there Blue Eyed Mare. How on earth do you know what MY horse needs?!

Again, horses ARE individuals!! I don't tell other people what they should be doing so don't tell me what I should be doing. My horse, my rules!

My TB is currently unclipped, doesn't have much coat so is in a LW 100g medium turnout today and will be in a medium stable rug tonight. If I left him unrugged he would be cantering all over the field to warm up and I'd rather he didn't! He'd also be using up vital calories to keep warm, and although he gets ad lib hay and forage I'd rather he didn't.

WelshD

Visit site
I have two welsh ponies, one is overweight and not rugged. One is underweight and has had a battering from a course of steroids, he is in a 100g

If things go wrong I will accept the consequences of my decision to rug but it's what I truly think us best for him at the moment

I agree that over rugging is not wise but think people should be left to their own decisions, ponies (Including natives) being prepared for big shows wear several rugs to preserve the coat sometimes even in summer, as a child my own show ponies were rugged and blanketed and under red lamps at night sometimes so although now generally agreed not to be wise I dint think a horse will actually explode because someone had chosen to chuck a MW on in October and it annoys me when people are made to feel bad about it

Littlelegs

Visit site
Blue eyed mare- my good doer, hairy native x, unclipped healthy pony stayed out last night in a hw combo. What you don't know, having not met her is that she actually needed it. She looks full connie, but her coat is fine like a tbs, as that's what she's crossed with. Even when its long, it doesn't offer the same protection as a natives. She's also 23, & has always felt the cold very easily, despite ad lib forage. And as she's recently began to show hints of stiffness when in, I hardly think being cold is in her interest. My other doesn't look either hairy or native, but has a deceptively dense, warm coat. Until now she has been rugless. However over the last week she has been in with a minor injury, & I felt mean throwing her back out when its suddenly gone cold at 7pm last night, when for the last week she's been in a warm indoor stable. So she wore a lw last night. She was also out in a tiny paddock that didn't have space to allow racing round to keep warm. However tonight she will be in a larger field rugless, with the other in a hw combo.
Although I too hate over rugging, its very difficult to have a blanket rule. As my two show, two horses that at a glance appear to have the same needs have very different requirements.

Lwhite

Visit site
What a lot of interesting comments. In all honesty I believe anyone with a basic knowledge of horse care will know when and how to rug up their own horse effectively.
Mistakes will be made, we all have to learn somehow, but do not blame the rug companies as rugs have been around for centuries in one form or another.
The important issue here is the welfare of the horse not how many flash rugs you have, they all end up the same colour anyway, usualy within 5 minutes of turning out.
It is important to remember that if you do rug your horse that your rug fits well, is suitable for the weather conditions and is checked regularly. Regular cleaning of the rug is also very important as grease and skin debris will build up in the lining and cause skin problems.
I do rug mine in the winter but don't take any shortcuts with them. They do not wear the same rugs for weeks on end or even 24/7. They have different weights for the different weather conditions, have a good groom every day and a period in their stable without rugs before they are rugged for the night.