Rugging

Hayjay

Visit site
Apologies for a rugging thread that has probably been done a million times 😊......
My three neddies (16hh ISH age 17, 12.2 pony age 23, 10.2 Shetland age 25-30ish) are all unclipped and unrugged. They are out in field from 7am-10pm with ad-lib large covered round hay bale and access to three shelters if they want to. They are stabled overnight with big, deep shavings bed (deep littered so warm) and ad-lib hay. They feel warm when I bring them in but I see the temperature is falling to -7 tomorrow and are they going to get cold after being in for a while and not moving about? They all lie down at night. Would you put a stable rug on any of them? Shetland has never been rugged before. They are all a good weight and hairy!! Opinions gratefully received 😊😊

SEL

Visit site
Sorry if you get 2 replies - phone playing up! I think if they've been ok to date then they'll be fine. We had minus 6 on Friday night (not forecasted) & my draft came in from the field with ice on his bottom in the morning. Insulated well enough not to melt it!

Extra hay always makes me feel better because they can eat to heat up.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
What sort of stable? Wood / stone / brick / barn with other horses in other stables? Well ventilated?

My 7yo native is unclipped and stabled overnight and managing fine. He's in a wood built with windows back and front, but horses in boxes to either side. He has ad lib haylage. I have a stable rug just in case but it isn't cold enough yet.

Having said that, the naughty little monster stole a neighbours rug (no idea how he got it through the dividing wall) made a hole in it then slept on it. I sometimes wonder if he's trying to tell me he's feeling left out - or just bored after the snow reduced playtime.

catkin

Visit site
Are the stables sheltered from wind? If it is dry still cold then my ponies seem perfectly happy with no rugs. If there's a strong wind blowing and the stables are draughty then I do put lightweight TO rugs on them to act as wind-cheaters (in the stable) - my ponies like this arrangement.
You don't say if any of them are working or have health conditions - one of mine has Cushings, the other is ridden so is brushed and therefore doesn't have full weatherproofing in his coat - so this may not be suitable for yours. Ad-lib hay most important in freezing weather.

Last edited:

Hayjay

Visit site
Are the stables sheltered from wind? If it is dry still cold then my ponies seem perfectly happy with no rugs. If there's a strong wind blowing and the stables are draughty then I do put lightweight TO rugs on them to act as wind-cheaters (in the stable) - my ponies like this arrangement.
You don't say if any of them are working or have health conditions - one of mine has Cushings, the other is ridden so is brushed and therefore doesn't have full weatherproofing in his coat - so this may not be suitable for yours. Ad-lib hay most important in freezing weather.

Thanks for reply. Yes stables are sheltered and all healthy. 12.2 has cushings managed with 1/2 pracend a day. Not really ridden much this time of year. My daughter and I are fair weather riders ����

Hayjay

Visit site
Sorry if you get 2 replies - phone playing up! I think if they've been ok to date then they'll be fine. We had minus 6 on Friday night (not forecasted) & my draft came in from the field with ice on his bottom in the morning. Insulated well enough not to melt it!

Extra hay always makes me feel better because they can eat to heat up.

Thank you - Shetland was in field today with snow settled on his back so well insulated ��

Hayjay

Visit site
What sort of stable? Wood / stone / brick / barn with other horses in other stables? Well ventilated?

My 7yo native is unclipped and stabled overnight and managing fine. He's in a wood built with windows back and front, but horses in boxes to either side. He has ad lib haylage. I have a stable rug just in case but it isn't cold enough yet.

Having said that, the naughty little monster stole a neighbours rug (no idea how he got it through the dividing wall) made a hole in it then slept on it. I sometimes wonder if he's trying to tell me he's feeling left out - or just bored after the snow reduced playtime.

Stables are concrete block and tile roof - much warmer than outside as the tack room bit has a sink and the tap rarely freezers there, thankfully!