Ruggles rugs

LouisCat

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of no fill Ruggles rugs? Are they very waterproof and what are they like size wise?

lilacjackie

Visit site
I have 2 of the no fill (standard neck and full neck) as they are 1200D they are truly waterproof, I'm into the 2nd year with mine and they are fantastic

whizzer

Visit site
I’ve got a no fill & a 50g, they fit my chunky little Connie cross brilliantly. I’ve found them to be waterproof but I do tend to use a different,thicker, rug in the worst weather.

Cornish

Visit site
Not a no-fill but my clipped cob has been wearing a 50g all winter and has been warm as toast with no leaks. Lovely and deep too.

Griffin

Visit site
I have several Ruggles rugs from heavy weights to no fill and they are all waterproof. Really nicely cut too.

Boulty

Visit site
I had a no fill years ago. It was a bit of an odd fit (massive in some places & a bit small in others) & lost all waterproofness after about 2 years (as well as going very faded). Also I had to repair a belly strap not long after getting it as it wasn't very well sewn on. I've never had another but would assume from other comments that they may have improved over the years. Mind you lots of people have issues with Premier Equine & out of all I've tried they've been the best fitting, most consistently waterproof & hardwearing. (although yes I'll agree they're heavy!) I don't rate Fal either for either fit (again just a bit of a strange shape) or lasting waterproofness (ok first year, steadily worse after that). Strangely the best no fill rug I've had so far is one of the 600d Amigo ones that is still going 8 years after purchase & still holds up to fairly heavy rain (wouldn't rely on it in a thunderstorm but ok for normal rain). Most of its life it has been used with a chest expander as the horse I originally had it for was the size below but it's worked fab with that... I shall probably have to part with it as I think even with the chest expander it's not going to cover Fuzball's rather large arse!

asmp

Visit site
I think I must be the exception. I have 3 Ruggles rugs, a 100g, a 50g (which I bought as the 100g was rather warm) and a no fill, which I bought as I was so pleased with the other two. However, the last time horse wore it, in torrential rain, admittedly, he was soaked through when I got him in. The rug was over a year old, otherwise I would have complained. Perhaps I just got a dud.

Araby

Visit site
have 50g, 100g, sheets, both with fixed neck and without ... love them, fit my Arab and Arab x beautifully, customer services are very helpful too if you have any queries. Never leaked and sizes I would say are accurate, been using them for a few years now.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
fit was excellent- but the no fill leaked very quickly - less than 6 weeks. In fairness they were excellent and replaced it but with a 50g one as they did say that sometimes to totally no fill can leak??? IMO no fill or heavy foll - if they are sold as waterproof then they should be waterproof no matter what. I now only have Bucas for my donkeys and premier Equine for the hoses, suits us and no problems so far 2 years in.

CLA85

Visit site
I haven’t had a no fill, but others have been waterproof and a good fit for the oversized chunky cob, but they seem to rip easily? Maybe i just have a rug trasher......

BBP

Visit site
My no fill leaked like a sieve on the very first day of use, after moderate rain throughout the day. Really disappointed as was one of the few rugs where I liked the fit. Their response was that I should treat it with reproofer, but I was a bit resentful at having to do that with a brand new rug.

Surbie

Visit site
I've got the heavy horse no fill and 50g. The 50g is fantastic, so far the no fill doesn't really stand up that well to torrential rain, and is only a couple of months old.

Moogleberry

Visit site
I have 100g and 50g

100 is on its fourth winter and the 50 has kept him dry during some pretty heavy rain this winter, he is a trad cob with huge shoulders and the fit is great for him

The Trooper

Visit site
I rate all my Ruggles rugs, all of ours are in 7'3 being draft horses. I do have 2 of their heavy horse rugs in 7'3 and they are massively deep. I don't think twice before ordering from them. I like Ruggles, Weatherbeeta and I really like my one Premier Equine rain sheet.

Merlod

Visit site
Purchased a new l/w turnout, really pleased with the fit but the leakage was so bad I went back to using the ancient weatherbeeta. I'd probably still buy their stable or cooler rugs but wouldn't waste money on another turnout. I think the fact they sell their own re-proofing spray speaks for itself...

Shay

Visit site
I've just found them very inconsistent. When they fit and work they are great. But I spend a lot of time sending stuff back and I don't always have the patience.

Fransurrey

Visit site
The older one I had was fantastic. Lasted at least 3 years before starting to leak. The one on my cob (now a year old) has never been totally waterproof. Seems that when the design changed, so did the quality, at least on some batches.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The only one I had from them was 3 years ago for a mini, a no fill that fitted v well - but it leaked through all the seams in the 1st heavy rain. Not impressed as a very cold shivering pony - seams were darted on the quarters too - so sodden right through. I was told it was 'condensation' from the pony, complete rubbish as on leak testing on dry yard, it leaked straight through every 'over stitch' on it :(
I wouldn't ever have another.

Nasicus

Visit site
I like their sweetitch/fly rug, it proved to be very durable out in a rough and tumble herd.

Their turnouts, I have two of the same red diamond pattern no fill 1200d teflon coated full neck rugs, one in 6'3 and one in 6'0.
The first one (6'3) was great, really really rated it. Bought several years ago, was used for two winters and would still be using it now but pony is now deceased.

The second one (6'0), I bought towards the end of 2018, and kept it stored away in it's bag until it was needed. I brought it out at the start of the year, and whilst it wasn't brand new anymore, it was completely unused. Popped it on horse and it leaked like a sieve. Was quite surprised and disappointed, but I'd had it for a year so a bit late to go complaining. However, following a wash in Nikwax Rug Wash and reproof in Nikwax Rug Proof, left to dry thoroughly, and now it's working perfectly, dry as a bone even in the downpours we've had.

So I don't know if I just had a bad batch, or if the waterproofing lost it's ability over time?

They are good, strong rugs though, all the ruggles I've had have survived extensive scratching, biting, catching, rolling etc.