Rugs/clipping silly question.

xTrooperx

Visit site
I'm wanting to pick up few spring rug offers to put away for dreaded winter but.. Winter just gone I had full necks on, this winter I want to avoid necks and the massive mane loss.
but if I go with neck less what is the min sort of clip I can get away with iykwim.
Half neck sort? Or will it still be to exposed..

NellRosk

Visit site
I was worried about this and went for the Rhino 'wug' with half a neck and she was plenty warm enough. She had a blanket clip so all her neck was clipped out.

xTrooperx

Visit site
I was worried I was one of few thinking this over & thinking how silly I was being.
The half neck rugs completely slipped my mind. What is yours like nellrosk for rain getting inside the neck?

NellRosk

Visit site
No, I posted a thread about it too a few months back! It's absolutely fine, my mum's horse has the same 'wug' and he lived out in all that torrential rain over winter and he was dry as a bone underneath!

ghostie

Visit site
I spent a small fortune on a Wug only to discover that pony hates it and so it has hardly been worn :( My boy was fine this winter with a lightweight rug, no neck on and a trace clip. I did let his mane grow longer and left it be for some extra protection from the wet, but I don't think that was necessary. He's been absolutely fine, and has been out 24/7 naked for the last month and is right as rain - even though his clip hasn't grown out yet. I think it depends on your horse, mine isn't keen on rugs, and seems to stay quite warm :)

I'm a convert to trace clips, I always thought in the past they wouldn't be enough to keep him cool when exercising and would cause a nightmare for rugging, but it's actually been great. I think we often full clip without really thinking about whether we can get away with less.