Rugs, do you get what you pay for?

Shavings

Visit site
Ok so some of Chance rugs are starting to show there age (all where second hand to him)

and been well worn (he lives out)

he only wears 200g fill at tops

I am thinking of Rambo or rhino rug and using a liner system over having multiple rugs

any one had any? Any one any recommendations?

was looking at an optimo

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Our Rambos are nearing their 13th straight season. Rhino 12th and Bucas 8th. They are amazing value for money.

I love the fit of Amigo but they only last us about 5-6yrs. But they are considerably cheaper.

Most rugs will last if you launder and reproof, fix any damage promptly and if they have quality fittings. I find if they fit well the horse doesn’t trash them.

mini_b

Visit site
Yes
Rambo all the way if you can

bought an amigo and it died on first outing.
I’ve bought cheap rugs and it’s a false economy

teddypops

Visit site
Our Rambos are nearing their 13th straight season. Rhino 12th and Bucas 8th. They are amazing value for money.

I love the fit of Amigo but they only last us about 5-6yrs. But they are considerably cheaper.

Most rugs will last if you launder and reproof, fix any damage promptly and if they have quality fittings. I find if they fit well the horse doesn’t trash them.
I find the opposite with turnout rugs. As soon as you start washing and reproofing them, they are no good anymore.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have Rambo or Rhino, but never send them for cleaning. I do wash the liners and may hose down the actual rug whilst it is still on the horse.

I keep the horses clean and never let them wear the rugs in the stable. That way they never get too mucky.

IME, once washed, they are wrecked for waterproofing. Hence never buying second hand.

The Rhino and Rambo have a membrane system to waterproof, much better than a coating, which is all 'waterproofing' does.

I have had a Rambo do 20 years, still waterproof when sold, and a Rhino do 18 waterproof years before sold. Only sold as I went from 17hh to 16hh!

J&S

Visit site
I have a Rambo that I have had for 14 years + . However, I have found the Amigos to do well and they have been washed. I have bought cheaper rugs and have had the fittings changed to improve them. I would also recommend Weatherbeata (sp).

Reacher

Visit site
Those of you who don’t wash your rugs, does the lining not get sticky? (For rugs which don’t use removable liners).

I’ve had mixed experiences with Rambos. I had an old one that was in excellent condition, then got 2 more which got tatty quite quickly.

As I lost faith in rambos I just bought a swish so hoping it lasts well.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've only had a Rhino and was disappointed in it, the fit wasn't great in a cob and it only lasted a few years, this was a long time ago though. My turnout rugs now tend to be weatherbeeta 1200d ones, oldest is now on its third cob and is 15 years old. I never wash and reproof, I'll soak them in a tub of cold water and scrub the inside, again with cold water, if needed.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Those of you who don’t wash your rugs, does the lining not get sticky? (For rugs which don’t use removable liners).

I’ve had mixed experiences with Rambos. I had an old one that was in excellent condition, then got 2 more which got tatty quite quickly.

I get a damp cloth and rub it off, if it looks very greasy.

poiuytrewq

Visit site

If you turn them over on a gate a good scrub/wipe with some non bio and warm water does the job.

HashRouge

Visit site
I have a mix of Weatherbeeta/ Masta rugs and I wash and reproof them every year (or the ones that are worn regularly). I've had them all since at least 2012 (I certainly haven't bought a new rug since then), so the washing and reproofing doesn't seem to be doing them any harm. Mine live out, so the rugs get a lot of wear.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
It’s great if you have an older Rambo. My experiences with ones bought in last few years haven’t been so good. I don’t think they are made the same as they were.

I tend to go for 1200 dernier Horseware as a compromise.

paddi22

Visit site
I think the production location of the Rambos changed a few years ago. they definitely aren't as good as they used to be.

Renvers

Visit site
Yes, I do think you get what you pay for. Two of my horses wear Rambo Tech Duo and the outers seem to be indestructible and the liners are great. My older horse who lives in a herd wears Shires and Weatherbeeta ones as the herd can destroy each others rugs and I have to replace or repair them at least every 18 months.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use shires and weatherbeeta on mine with liners or I put a summer sheet underneath to keep the insides clean as I don't get them washed, I do give them a good brush off if they look particularly dirty that gets most of the mud off then I spray with fabsil gold to re proof.

Asha

Visit site
i have one heavyweight Rambo, its approx 15years old. Still going strong and has outlived every other rug ive bought.

I keep a load of cheap rugs to see if the latest youngster is a rug wrecker / while they grow etc. I must invest in a couple more rambos, my only worry is if they are still as good as my original one

Annagain

Visit site
I think this is where the liner systems work so well as you can wash the liners and leave the outer layer to try to maintain their waterproofness for as long as possible. My outer layers only get washed when they need to be repaired (maybe 3 or 4 times each). I have PE rugs and they're still waterproof after (I'm guessing) about 10 years. I also find that although they do get ripped (Archie was quite a hedge diver in his day, he'd do anything for a ripe blackberry) the rips always stayed small, they never ran into much bigger rips. When I first had Charlie, I knew he was still growing so I bought him a second hand 0g Gallop rug and while I was impressed with how waterproof it was, he put a small tear in it and within a few days it had run into quite a big one.

I was also impressed with the original Fal rugs (the purple ones with green straps). Archie's was great at first until he muscled up quite a lot and then it barely covered his tummy so I sold it and bought PE rugs as they're deeper. A well looked after, second hand, decent rug is always better than a new cheap one I think.

Squeak

Visit site
I've recently been converted by the rambos and rhinos. I had been doing shires and weatherbeeta but the shires only stayed waterproof for a year or two and the most recent weatherbeeta was a waste of time from the start.

The Rhino and Rambo were both secondhand when I got them and have stood up to daily use and torrential rain and I've had them a couple of years now. I had one horse squeeze through a gap in the rambo and another followed in a cheapy rug. The Rambo didn't have a scratch or rip on it but the other rug was in shreds and had to go in the bin.

I also find that next to the Rhino/ Rambo a few of the other rugs look very poorly fitting and cut.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Can’t beat a Rambo IME, though I have to get rhinos for my Welsh A as they don’t make Rambos small enough! His rhinos are good rugs though, they fit so well and never rub or slip. Mine have been washed/proofed many times and are still very waterproof. When I can’t get rhino/don’t want to pay lots of money, I get Shires.

paddy555

Visit site
mine are rambos but I could only get a rhino wug to fit my little pony. She has worn it for 10 years and still going strong.
If I couldn't quite afford the rambo I would be very happy with a rhino. I think they are very good rugs.

WelshD

Visit site
I tend to use decent stable rugs then put a shires rug on top as a waterproof layer.
I mistreat the rugs, Lob them in my domestic washing machine with powder, never reproof and never had a problem.

I see turnouts as macs rather than rugs - just a waterproof on top of his ‘proper’ rugs.

Bay City

New User
Visit site
Yes, I do think you get what you pay for. Two of my horses wear Rambo Tech Duo and the outers seem to be indestructible and the liners are great. My older horse who lives in a herd wears Shires and Weatherbeeta ones as the herd can destroy each others rugs and I have to replace or repair them at least every 18 months.

Are these recent Duos? I bought one and wasn't so impressed and wondered if it was a one off or if they are just not as good anymore.

Bay City has a Lavenham one now and it was very expensive but oh so nice!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Are these recent Duos? I bought one and wasn't so impressed and wondered if it was a one off or if they are just not as good anymore.

I bought a new optimo last year. First one stitching was poor and I sent it back. Second one leaked and I sent it back and got refund. Was very disappointing.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I got a new rambo Duo early this year and am I pressed with it. Keeps pony cosy and easy to swap layers and put neck on/off.
I've always had amigos and my current one which has been worn now and then when weather was bad for the past 10 or so years. Only now is pony in rug pretty much for the winter.

Renvers

Visit site

Latest one was bought in 2018. I used to have a Lavenham stable rug for my first pony, it was fantastic

Shavings

Visit site
Thanks everyone will take a good look around

he lives out 24/7

and his neck goes quiet keep in to his chest so find some rugs cut in

I have a felix rug from kramer it’s got the large shoulder guests like an optimo which is great for him but I am not able to find they in any other brand and it appears felix don’t do it any more