Rugs in -20

_Libby_

Visit site
What rugs do you or would you have on your horsey in temperatures of minus 20?

Last night it was minus 18 here and is expected to get even colder, my wimpy tb x arab is 19 and is always wrapped up well, atm she has on a 300g liner, stable rug with a PE Winter buster on top and she still feels cold!

HayleyandBob

Visit site
Iv been wondering this to!
crazy.gif

1275gta

Visit site
It wa -10 here last night our were all in the unclipped pony wa naked, the old boy had a medium table rug on, the two with trace clips had mediu weights on, the cop who is growing out of a full clip had a fleece and a medium weight full neck. All are toasty warm.

Enfys

Visit site
Just bog standard MW turnouts for living out horses, temps frequently drop to that level. None are cold, and the QH's for some reason have got very thin coats this year, the arab (same age as your girl) is boinging about like a 2 year old on speed.

Is your mare in? Perhaps bandages on overnight would help.
Neck cover as well?
Ad lib forage as well, feel that is unnecessary to mention really, as I am sure she gets that anyhow.
A friend of mine had a thermatex type rug with some sort of heat reflecting material in it for her cold arab, it worked a treat. I can't remember the brand name, sorry, but I am sure someone will.

_Libby_

Visit site
I guess mine must be a right wimp - she is unclipped and rugged to the eye balls. She even shivers in summer though if there is a hint of rain.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just bog standard MW turnouts for living out horses, temps frequently drop to that level. None are cold, and the QH's for some reason have got very thin coats this year, the arab (same age as your girl) is boinging about like a 2 year old on speed.

Is your mare in? Perhaps bandages on overnight would help.
Neck cover as well?
Ad lib forage as well, feel that is unnecessary to mention really, as I am sure she gets that anyhow.
A friend of mine had a thermatex type rug with some sort of heat reflecting material in it for her cold arab, it worked a treat. I can't remember the brand name, sorry, but I am sure someone will.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were talking about those rugs the other day Enfys, turns out they are not made any more.

But for £135 you can buy a blazewear rug which has a battery pack and heat pads!

I am about to cycle to the yard and decide what to do with my horse - whether to leave him out as I am only able to get to the yard by bike or bring in. He's in a HW with neck cover and is a fully clipped TB.

I don't really understand these posts though coz what is enough for my horse is not enough or too much for someone elses. Surely you just feel the base of their ears, keep an eye on their weight and rug accordingly? It depends on the horse, the weather, the shelter, myriad different things. I've never once thought 'X is putting that rug on their horse, therefore I must do the same'.

_Libby_

Visit site
Yeah she is in at night with ad lib hay and fed well.
I think i will put bandages on tonight. The hairy highland next door is standing roasting with no rugs on
grin.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
my unclipped ISH 19year old has a standard neck hw rug on
the 3 year old WB has a hw standard neck on but will swap her to one with a neck cover
fully clipped TBx has 2 hw full necks on

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I have just put a fleece on underneath my boys lightweight so in effect he has a med weight on (his med weight is currently bust, so am waiting till pay day to get it repaired/get a new one). He is always nice and warm when I see him, I am lucky, he doesn't feel the cold too much.

_Libby_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand these posts though coz what is enough for my horse is not enough or too much for someone elses. Surely you just feel the base of their ears, keep an eye on their weight and rug accordingly? It depends on the horse, the weather, the shelter, myriad different things. I've never once thought 'X is putting that rug on their horse, therefore I must do the same'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry the post wasnt meant to read like that.... as I said the horse next door is nakee so if I was copying others she would be naked too!
What I meant was were others horses feeling this cold as well and what rugs did they have on.

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We were talking about those rugs the other day Enfys, turns out they are not made any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a shame about those rugs being discontinued because it was really very good, he only wore the one rug, I was impressed because for old or ailing horses it must have been more comfortable than multi layers.

Totally agree with your point about all horses having individual 'clothing' needs, that change all the time, just like us.
smile.gif

sugarlump121

Visit site
Must agree with spottedcat as whats warm for 1 horse may not be for another.

I have horses at both ends of the scale; my 13yrs wbx was clipped 2 weeks ago and was wearing a Rambo Duo with 300g liner and a 200g premier equine (600g in total) up until this morning when I swapped the 200g for a 300g as its -3 in the day here and went to about -12 last night. If he's too hot/ cold I'll adjust accordingly... hoping my new rugs I ordered come today so I can put that on!

My youngster (2 1/2yrs) is out naked in all weathers but when stabled he has a light sheet on- only to stop him rubbing tail off.

If youre horse is cold (as well as feed/hay) you may need to put extra rugs on, some people don't agree with more than 1-2 rugs on a horse however I'd rather my horse be warm! Obviously keeping safety in mind with straps/ horses running round etc.

Cuffey

Visit site
Eating fibre creates heat from the inside
Make sure ad lib hay available but adequate fresh water is probably a bigger problem so they eat enough hay
My boys had fresh run water at 11pm last night and buckets were well iced this morning, will put warm water out tonight

_HP_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah she is in at night with ad lib hay and fed well.
I think i will put bandages on tonight. The hairy highland next door is standing roasting with no rugs on
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any way she can live out? Most horses cope better if they can move about in cold weather.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
we were fairly lucky -7 last night and forcast for next 2 nights.

My welsh has a fleece and a lightweight on top to keep off the wet my Hanno had a stable rug then his lightweight turnout on top but Ive just changed him to a fleece with his Heavy weight combo on.

Theyve been stabled most of it but Ive turned them out today for the night, Always think they can keep warmer moving about than inside. Plu they have access to the stables.

I think for -20 though Id be layering quite a bit with a neck cover and poss stable bandages for a lightweight type

Hippona

Visit site
Bog standard MW for the natives too...

The older TB/arab is clipped....anyone who knows me knows I dont like layering rugs, but I have been putting his HW stable rug and his HW turnout on over the top, then on a morning I undo the underneath rug and pull it out from behind...thus avoiding the 'cold- rug- syndrome'.
grin.gif
..he also has his stable wraps on and so far hasn't dropped any weight.