Rugs, rugs and more rugs!!!!

Walnuts

Visit site
So, I bought my first horse a few weeks ago and my rug collection is steadily growing, the warm months are nearly here and I have nothing under 200g other than a lovely waffle, what should I buy now to get me through to the Autumn please, I love the idea of Zebra patterns if it's true that they keep the filthy flies away.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Depends on your horse. My fine Arab has 100g, rain sheet and lots of fly rugs... but she has sweet itch so very bothered by flys. Other horses are rugless all summer. The zebra pattern rugs do seem to work - I don’t have any though.

TheMule

Visit site
My 50g is my most used rug, I prefer it to a rainsheet as it keeps the wet fabric away from the skin and it offers a little insulation but is great for not overheating when temps are a bit milder.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
A good waterproof sheet of 1200d minimum and a 50g rug have served my clipped cob perfectly all winter. I'm a fan of weatherbeeta for their fit and waterproofness

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I tend to use 100g turnouts quite a bit when it's milder, they were out naked today as it was sunny and warm, I use fly rugs in the summer when the flies are in full force and the horse flies can be bad round here.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I'd probably ask friends / other liveries if you can try their rugs on (providing similar size) to work out what brands fit her best. Or if you existing rugs fit her well, get light weights in the same brands.
Ebay second hand is good if you are still experimenting. Or local facebook horsey selling groups.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I'm a bit of a rugaholic and have rugs in weights ranging from 0g to 340g in either 600d or 1200d so I'm covered for every type of weather possible - in my defence I live in the West of Ireland 😆

This doesn't include coolers exercise sheets or fly rugs 🙃

Last edited:

doodle

Visit site
I have 0g with and without hood, 100g, 200grm with and without hood, 300g and 450g. You can never have too many! No idea how many stable and fleece rugs.

Fiona

Visit site
From now through to Autumn I'd just buy a rainsheet, and a flyrug if you think your field needs one. Personally I've never needed one for any of mine...

One of mine has a 100g turnout as part of a rugging system, but the others don't.

Fiona