Rugs that are WATERPROOF?!

siennamum

Visit site
Weatherbeetas have a 3 year guarantee if they leak. I found this out direct as the local retailer just dismissed my claims my rug leaked. Previous WBs had been fine so not sure what the problem was but deffo worth contacting them direct if you have one that leaks!

Rollin

Visit site
Sadly they have ceased training - my all time favourites are FAL. Lightweight and warm. Never had one leak yet. You do need to wash rugs in Tech Wash though.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a rhino that's probably about 7 years old, think it might have been second hand when I bought it, still waterproof.

I'm only going to buy posh rugs in future, saved me loads compared to replacing cheaper ones.

Starzaan

Visit site
I am a sales rep for a rug manufacturer, and I would suggest you try a 50g turnout rather than 0g.

As a previous poster mentioned, the fabric sits right against the horse's back, so a 0g will never be as waterproof as something with a fill in it. Also, they aren't breathable - imagine putting a waterproof coat on with nothing underneath - you'd get all sticky and revolting. This is similar to what happens if a horse gets warm in a 0g turnout.

I would definitely recommend a 50g, and if your horse is living out you want a 1200 denier or above. 600d is waterproof, but won't be as strong as the higher deniers, and will rip more easily.

If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me. Rugs are my life haha!

Merlod

Visit site
I only use weatherbeeta now, I have had shires/amigo/ruggles all leak. The weatherbeeta's never do, even the no fills.

Fiona

Visit site
I'd have said ruggles until Saturday week ago, when I discovered that one of mine (18 months old) had leaked right through, however the other two (a newish ruggles and a 2yo cheap derby house) had only the odd damp patch.

The oldest 0g rug we have is a pony PE buster, and its about 4 years old now and has never leaked at all.

Fiona

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I have various Shires rugs. The Tempest rainsheets withstand all but really awful heavy rain.

Their Highlander no-fill withstands absolutely anything you can chuck at it. It must be at least 1200d. It's definitely the most waterproof rainsheet I have ever found.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have 2 loveson no fill rugs there old and don't leak, and I have a really old weatherbeta that is also fine bought a shires one a few years back and it leaked straight away and when I held it up to the light the whole rug had tiny holes all over it, they wouldn't take it back either was adamant my horse did it so I basically threw it in the bin.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I had just about given up on expecting lightweights to be waterproof until I read a recommendation on here for the Weatherbeeta 1200D on here, it's great! Apparently, as others have said, the rug needs to be at least 1200 denier

Horsekaren

Visit site
I have never come across a 0g rug that leaks, apart from a 2nd hand one which i washed and destroyed. Ruggles, Swish, Rambo, Amigo, Loveson, PE, Shires all have stayed dry in the wettest of weather, even the 600 denier ones which has made me think i dont need to pay as much for rugs.

Maybe im just lucky!
i do buy them new though, i wouldn't be at all shocked if a secondhand rug leaked, most probably why its being sold lol