Rugs-weights and weatherbeeta!

NinjaPony

Visit site
It's that time of year again, when I get itchy finger and want to buy new rugs! My pony is a hunter clipped Connemara and he currently has a no fill, 250g with neck and 450g with neck turnouts. I am debating buying him a 300g turnout rug as an inbetween, but is that necessary? If so, I was wondering about the 300g/360g weatherbeeta combo rug? How do people rate weatherbeeta, he has all amigo turnouts and they fit him really well. Thanks!

barnbrookaa

Visit site
Love my weatherbeetas and find the freestyles are best, they are pricey but worth it. I fully clip my lightweight cob and fits him lovely also my tank of an exmoor its fitted well, nothing else comparesbto them for my boys. It seems you have a medium and really heavy personally would have one inbetween or get a 100g stable rug to put on underneath your 250g another one of my wardrobe essenstials!!!

rascal

Visit site
I love weatherbeeta rugs, my welsh d had one and it fitted well, sadly after two winters it got destroyed on the trees in the field. I want another but I want a half neck rug so I might have to go for another make.

Suzie G

Visit site
I've got my wimpy Connemara in a medium weight combo neck freestyle weatherbeeta and my well hard new forest either naked or a rain sheet. Weatherbeeta all the way for me.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i recommend a PE with liners in 100g increments - you dont need to spend mega bucks on the whole system. I bought a 70g in the sale and it has the attachments for the liners. I like being able to change by 100g at a time :)

NinjaPony

Visit site
My boy never needs more than the heavyweight, I do have a 100g stable rug but I find they always get a bit damp under a turnout rug. Sounds like weatherbeeta is a good bet, he's in a 250g full neck at the moment but I want something in between as he shouldn't need the heavyweight until it gets a lot colder. He's got stable rugs in all weights just not enough turnout rugs! Oh well, it's a great excuse to go rug shopping :D

NeverSayNever

Visit site
Ive just remembered, ive got the 360 weatherbeeta you're on about, mine has the fleece lined neck. Ive loads of WB rugs but the clips on this broke after about a month and had to be repaired :( Its a nice rug but the PE outers are far superior and Ive never had a problem with liners being damp.

Herts05

Visit site
Look at the actual outer of the run (denier) not just the weight of it. A higher denier will add to its warmth as well. I try and look for 1200 denier wherever possible

NeverSayNever

Visit site
well... i use my liners under my other, none PE rugs :) Pony is currently in a 100g Weatherbeeta outer with a 100g PE liner :) They still clip on where the filet string clips and don't slip.

SuperH

Visit site
I've got a half neck Weathabeeta turnout. Had it since about 1996 and it is a wonderful thing. It will be on its third pony this winter. No idea what the newer ones are like but I wish they still made the half necks.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Thats a good tip NSN thanks, I will look into them. I always get 1200 denier rugs, no point otherwise as my pony is hard on his rugs!

nikkimariet

Visit site
PE not worth the money IMO - shoddy quality and have rubbed all of ours to bits.

Really rate the weatherbeeta freestyle, mine has the MW and HW turnout and also the fly rug. He is a proper rug thug and not put a dent in these. His PE HW turnout had to be repaired only weeks after he had it!!!! (and it rubbed half his mane out).