Rugs???????

Miss_Cupcake

Visit site
So I have just bought a new pony!!
She's a 5 year old, black/very dark bay 14.1hh Friesian X Cob. I will be picking her up on Thursday, so that means lots of shopping. I have her tack and most of her stable stuff but am totally confused when it comes to rugs. She's not that hairy at the moment but I feel that once her winter coat comes in she will get hairier. She will be in medium work all throughout the winter as I have a weatherproof school at my livery yard. I think I will clip her but unsure at the moment.
If I do clip her (blanket or trace clip), what rugs will she need (e.g.. lightweight x 1, mediumweight x 1 etc)
If I don't clip her, what rugs would she need?

Thanks a lot xx

Oh, and she has rubbed out her mane on an ill fitting rug so only has a tiny mane at the moment (so no problems with long flowing manes).

Another note, I'm in Kent so it rains reasonably often but when it rains it chucks it down!!

Last edited:

Dusty85

Visit site
I'd imagine she won't need particularly thick rugs, especially as you're not planning on taking much off when you clip.

She'll probably just be alright with s stable sheet for sone time, or a light stable if you clip.

I think we're all guilty of over rugging, there is nothing I hate more than being too warm so I inagine its the same for them!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Will she be in at night? Or out 24/7

I'd say a lightweight rain sheet and maybe a 100g rug, to use when the rain is heavy. Get a 200g rug, just in case but she sounds like a hardy breed,so probably won't need a heavy weight

Just don't over rug her, soo many people feel cold so end up wrapping their horses up more than necessary

My gelding was out in a lightweight all winter. When it got really cold I put a medium on, he came in sweating, just didn't need it

Horsey Sophie

Visit site
Congratulations!

I've got a native & worked 3-4 times a week in winter and has an almost- trace clip - he's usually naked in the field (but has 1 no fill or lightweight turn out rug) & has a waffle cooler & Thermatex for the stable. I know it's exciting - but I honestly wouldn't rush out to buy anything other than a lightweight turn out & cooler/stable rug for her. If you find she needs more, you can buy another - but horses do find it easier to adjust their temperature up if they are cold, than down if they are too hot :)

Miss_Cupcake

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I feel like most people over rug their horses so didn't want to do that. She will be out 24/7 as that's what she is at the moment and when she was tried in a stable/field shelter type thing, she freaked out and jumped the door!!

Theocat

Visit site
Go for the minimum - apart from anything else, you don't know which makes will fit her! I'd buy a rain sheet and something like a Lycra body - even a shoulder guard adds a lot of heat. You can add more/heavier rugs as and when you discover she's a destroyer/cold/doesn't fit that make!

Tern

Visit site
I'd buy a shoulder guard - Trust me, horses out 24/7 in rugs get rubs especially clipped!

2 x medium weight - so one can dry while she wears a new warm one. (even my Amigos soak through after the english rain!)
1 x fleece
1 x lightweight with fill - so it has some padding - this allows it to not be soaked in 5 mins.

In the summer you'll need a fly mask but buy that in middle of winter when they are on special offer. ;)

You will find you accumulate rugs over the years, and you don't even know when you last used them of why you have them. ;)

Layering is better than one heavy rug, after all more layers means more heat trapped! She sounds like a good doer with probably wide shoulders so bear that in mind when buying. Weatherbeeta and Horseware Ireland are good for big shoulders!

eBay is also fantastic for second hand rugs.

Tern

Visit site
And yes, she may not even need the medium weights but it's always when you don't have something you end up needing it.

My Welsh D (poor doer) lived in a medium or heavy least year however she was fully clipped.

I think your girl could probably do with neckless rugs.