Rugs.

EllieLewis

New User
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good affordable rug? Needs to be high denier, have leg straps, buckle chest and preferably with fixed neck. The tricky thing is to find a rug with all that but not too thick, thinking with filling but not more than medium weight. We live on Lewis with sometimes fierce weather but our girls are pretty tough, looking for something to keep wind chill out but that won't overheat them. One rug for a big chest highland (mature lady, I'm not rugging a strong young'un) and a quarter horse who has never worn a rug before (she's grown a good coat but I feel she needs a bit extra in our climate). Any advice appreciated ( choice much bigger than when I last went brand-new rug shopping!) . Thank you, Ellie.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would look at Weatherbeeta or Shires.

For Weatherbeeta, the Comfitec Plus and Comfitec Essential range are high denier rugs. I think the Comfitec Classic is 600d though, so make sure you are looking at the right subtype. :)

With Shires I believe that some of the new ones have the loops for leg straps but you need to buy the leg straps separately so check the small print. ;) The Highlander Plus and Tempest Plus are higher denier than the non 'plus' versions of the same rugs. I personally think that some of their older models are better though and if 300g won't be to warm for your horses look out for the Stormbreaker or Typhoon in the older style with buckles and clips on the chest straps. They are great rugs IMO and IIRC came with leg straps included.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-shir...hash=item3ac9ebdf69:m:mXzgSTpmnb7MlUBE52PFWvw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shires-T...hash=item3ac7267756:m:mQSke1azB0abzD8gNeGFL7g

Annagain

Visit site
I find Premier Equine good for big shouldered horses. They're not the cheapest (but if you sign up for emails they send a deal everyday which can save you quite a bit of money) and they're not everyone's cup of tea as they're heavy but they have a good choice of weights from 0g to 450g and liners so you can increase and decrease the weight without having 6 different rugs.

Fiona

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good affordable rug? Needs to be high denier, have leg straps, buckle chest and preferably with fixed neck. The tricky thing is to find a rug with all that but not too thick, thinking with filling but not more than medium weight. We live on Lewis with sometimes fierce weather but our girls are pretty tough, looking for something to keep wind chill out but that won't overheat them. One rug for a big chest highland (mature lady, I'm not rugging a strong young'un) and a quarter horse who has never worn a rug before (she's grown a good coat but I feel she needs a bit extra in our climate). Any advice appreciated ( choice much bigger than when I last went brand-new rug shopping!) . Thank you, Ellie.

I got a great ballistic nylon turnout rug for our newbie from Swish Equestrian, and I'm v impressed with it so far.

Buckle front
Leg straps
Mine came with neck cover included.

Fiona

OdinsMum

Visit site
I have gallop rugs from eBay which are quite cheap but sturdy, they stand up well with my thugs who run through bushes and play fight all of the time. I think they are about £35 a pop.

Starzaan

Visit site
WeatherBeeta every time. ALL WB turnouts are now ComFiTec, the Classic is 600d and the Essential, Plus Dynamic, Premier and Ultra ranges are all 1200d - 1680d. Perfect fit, 3 yrs warranty and they’re beautifully made.

TGM

Visit site
Have a look at Maxima Equestrian - all their turnouts are 1200 denier, and have detachable leg straps. They have fully adjustable front fastenings (buckles one end, clips the other) so you can adapt the fit for the chunky ones. (But are designed so you can easily remove the clips and just use the buckles if you want.) They do both 100g and 200g - think 100g is only detachable neck, but can get fixed neck in 200g. Reasonably priced - a 200g fixed neck would be under £70 with free delivery but they usually have a sale in the New Year so might be worth waiting for that if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Gallop Equestrian all the way. Can't stand rugs with dog clips on the front, they are a pet hate of mine.