Rule #1 of going to view a horse...

Ben2684

Visit site
Never buy the first horse you see! ..... Not sure why to be honest. I brought the first horse I saw and he's my horse of a lifetime :D

Me too! Still thank my lucky stars that I ignored this rule... Almost didn't buy him simply because he was the first!

Ponies1234

Visit site
If you get there horse is already out the field all tacked up alarm bells should ring!don't believe everything your told make your own judgement & try yourselves I'm a little put off if seller don't ride 1st try everything your wanting to do with the horse hacking jumping etc even if it's more than 1 visit seller won't mind. If there genuine
Don't walk into the stable go yep I'll have him (she's says all turned out good luckly)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Never let a seller pressure you into making your mind up there and then, even if they say someone is coming to view in ten minutes or they have *just* had a phone call while you were riding but they'll give you first refusal if you decide now.
Something you love there and then may not be quite so suitable once you are back home and thinking it through rationally.

windand rain

Visit site
Actually bother to show up would be a start. Probably will never sell anything ever again but it is a constant expectation that no matter what you sell be it a table, a puppy or a pony a good 90% of people will phone to say they are coming are in the car can they have directions and that is the last you hear of them. I actual hate media sales I would be reluctant to use video, masses of photos and would only answer telepnone enquiries. I might be tempted by an Email but would still expect a courtesy phone call

Sprat

Visit site
I empathise with most of these!

I have just sold my lovely boy to a fantastic family who I am very happy with, however have had to deal with a lot of rubbish from a sellers point of view.

Sprat was advertised as a genuine all rounder, only for sale as he wont make it up the levels in dressage (which is what I want for next horse)

A lady comes to see him, spends 3 hours trotting him up, schooling, jumping, hacking, seeing him loaded in a trailer, in a lorry, ride and lead etc etc. A general faff which would have been fine in theory.

Lady then wanted to take him out to a small sj comp the next day, so I re arranged all plans. She texts at close to midnight that night cancelling. Then says she won't buy him as he won't make the dressage horse she wants.

VERY infuriating, as I had told her this!

From a buyers POV - I had a very strange discussion with a dealer. I wanted to go and view a mare she had, and she was insistent that I needed to tell her my decision on if I wanted the mare there and then and wanted deposit that day. Long story short but ended up not going to see the mare as alarm bells started ringing (I had said I would want 2 viewings which I thought was fairly standard, to which she replied she didn't do 2nd viewings?!)

Good shout about googling the number though!

hypopit

Visit site
When you say about googling a number do you mean landline, as nothing ever shows up for a mobile and most horses advertised today are done so by mobile numbers??? What sort of stuff have people found out, that they are dealers when they say it is a private sale?

If travelling any real distance and the person says said horse will hack out on it's own or jump a course of jumps with no dirty stops, or pass a digger working at the side of the road, ask for them to video them doing it and send it to you before putting the key in the ignition.. If they can't provide that don't waste your time.
I went 300 miles to see one she said had all bells and whistles (that is a red flag in itself). I asked this woman among many other things does it nap on it's own, and I said I would want to take it out for a hack in traffic on it's own when I came to try her, she said that is absolutely fine.
Got there, the mare was tacked up ready(first alarm bell). I asked to take her in the school, she said sorry my boss has just gone in there(second alarm bell) . I said right I'll take her out for a hack while he is in there and pop in when I get back. The woman said I'll get my horse ready to come with you(alarm bell). I said no, I'd prefer to take her on my own as we discussed, on a short hacking route with some traffic, preferably some heavy traffic,( she said she was bombproof with traffic) if you could direct me the way that would be great........ Woman was not happy!! Even though I had reiterated this before setting off.
I got on, it would not go out the end of the drive, this was the one she said went out no ifs or buts on it's own. She was saying crack it, crack it!!!! I said I think you better get on and show me how good she is then, she proceeded to belt it down the road with it's head in the air, napping at each field gateway.
She came back after 2 minutes, I said I have just driven 300 miles and completely wasted my time, she gave me a guilty smile and said well I thought I'd try!!!! What can you say, well, I know what I wanted to do,lol.

She was a beautiful mare though, bought from the sales probably, and it looked like professional yard at that!! I lived and learned from that one. It does not matter what people tell you, as some people will lie straight to your face thinking they can manipulate you and the horse when you get there. The Mare would have probably gone out in company, but I told her on the phone that I have a place of my own and I do all my riding alone, but she told me "yes of course you can take her out alone, and then thought when she gets here we will make the manage out of bounds and I will take her out with mine and she will fall in love!!!
Make sure you do what you want to do with the horse so long as it is safe and in reason. People lie because there are a lot of dodgy horses out there, and a lot of even dodgier people who would sell their Grandma for 50 quid, you have to be very careful, and as a general rule it's what the people don't tell you about a horse that is more telling than what they DO tell you.

She was thankfully a one off over the years of looking at many. But you always get one!!!!

Last edited:

Sprat

Visit site
God that must have infuriated you hypopit!

I googled the mobile number to the mare I am interested in - the lady selling is a dealer. I have also googled the dealer quite extensively and can't find any red flags so far.

I think it's more difficult with a private sale.

There are a few facebook groups which give reviews on dealers etc, though I think you have to take it all with a pinch of salt as with anything!

joulsey

Visit site
Googling mobile numbers can also bring up the ad for the horse up on different websites. For instance, one I went to go and see, I found the ad elsewhere and could see he had been up for sale for over a year and the price had come down a thousand pounds. Also brought up alot of other ads of other horses she was selling/loaning which was all a bit weird.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
When you say about googling a number do you mean landline, as nothing ever shows up for a mobile and most horses advertised today are done so by mobile numbers??? What sort of stuff have people found out, that they are dealers when they say it is a private sale?
If they are masquerading as a dealer
if the horse is advertised elsewhere at a different price
The person's name if they are doing point 1.

hypopit

Visit site
If it's a private sale, I like to look at the sellers on FB if they are on there. It is amazing how many horses I have seen on FB who are advertised as absolute saints then you scroll down their FB page and hear about how they sat a massive buck on it, or it took two hours to get them on the box that day,lol. Or they just like to show off how they turned that bag of bones they bought for £50 from Holmfirth into a super star,lol.
I'm not on FB myself, but it is well handy to take a look around when you are looking for a horse. I have seen those dodgy dealer pages on FB too Sprat, very handy also. I'm not sure which I find the most hazardous buying from a private seller or buying from a dealer!!! I have had good and bad experiences from both, along with good and bad experiences within the vetting process. Thats a whole other can of worms right there eh people??

Micropony

Visit site
I have recently seen an advert for a 3 year old pony that hacks out alone!!? "Or in company, first or last. Still growing"!!

I could truthfully have said that about my boy this time last year, just before he turned 4. Okay, he'd not been doing it long, and we hadn't gone far alone as the traffic near us is horrible and I am a coward. But not necessarily a fib?

rhylis

Visit site
Be prepared to be called a time waster even if you have genuinely good reasons for not buying the horse!
I went to see a mare for sale locally and the first thing the owner said was that she wouldn't ride first as she had had a brandy at lunchtime. This was a little odd as she had just driven onto the yard! Then I wasn't able to hack out as the horse had a loose shoe ( except she didn't!) I did say I would come back when the shoe was sorted but wouldn't buy the horse unless I could ride her on the roads. I was accused of being a time waster! Not just at the time but afterwards as well to anyone who would listen.
You meet all sorts when it comes to buying or selling horses!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
Possibly a contraversial one but...
If you weigh in excess of 18 stone, please let the buyer know and ask if the horse is a weight carrying type before coming to try their 15.2hh fine boned sport horse. It just prevents wasting everyone's time..!
Had this with my much loved horse I'm currently selling. I hate, hate, HATE selling horses!

lindsay1993

Visit site
I once drove with my yard owner over 2 hours to see a so called 'ideal competitive horse'.

When we got there the owner was nowhere to be seen & I was handed a 14.2hh scruffy looking dun pony ready tacked-up by a stable lad.

He said the owner was fine with me having a try before she got there. Apparently it had no vices and was very talented.

I got on & was promptly reversed at great speed into a stack of bales, reared several times and reversed back into the door to it's stable. I don't think it ever put one foot in the right direction!!

maxapple

Visit site
I went to view a horse whose owner was very odd. She turned up at the yard in a denim mini skirt and sandals - so clearly didn't plan to ride first. I got on, had a nice hack (was just looking for a happy hacker at the time) and decided to buy him.

Contacted her later in the day to arrange collection. She said she wanted to come and visit where he would be stabled first and then said she couldn't make it down to do that for at least 3 weeks. She also wanted me to send her my farriers and vets details so she could talk to them. She also wanted references from an instructor. I gave up at that point as it was getting a bit weird. I saw him readvertised a week later 'back for sale due to time waster'

Odd people about!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Just thought of one I learned from personal experience.

Buy the horse YOU want and not the one your 'friends' tell you you should buy just because they like it

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
From personal experience of one i went to view....

If you have arranged for someone to come and view your horse at 10am in the morning (and they have driven over 2 hours to do it) please try your hardest to get up out of bed and be ready when they arrive. Answering the door in your pyjamas and telling viewers to 'just go round the back' and leaving them to pick their way through your scrap filled backyard, is a bad idea.
Also if you had bothered to check on your three horses before viewers arrived you would have noticed that one had its headcollar dangerously hanging off and, more importantly, that the horse people had driven miles to view was in fact hopping lame!
The viewers wont be convinced when you claim he's just stood on a stone and will be even less impressed when you fetch his tack anyway only to apologies as it has gone mouldy.
There were more head shaking comments and moments but i'd be here all day!!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I always think it would help if people read the bloody ad! Not selling but loaning my pony, I was very honest but still people rang to ask me questions that were clearly stated in the ad.

Buying ......I didn't buy the first one......that fell flat on its face while I was trying it......I bought the second one......so far so good. :)

marmalade76

Visit site
#5 HH is a metric that changes based on who you ask!!! My 14.2hh is VERY different from some people's 14.2hh. Be aware that if the pony looks 13hh in the pics, but seller is adamant it's 14.2hh...it's 13hh.

Totally agree! So many people guess and overestimate the height of their horses/ponies, I once viewed one advertised as 14.1 but turned out to be more like 13.2 and too small.

marmalade76

Visit site
Go ready to NOT like it, unlike me who went with the deposit in pocket and was basically just going to check that it had four legs and looked just as pretty as in the pictures. Worked out ok but it could have gone horribly wrong!

:confused: I always go with a deposit in my pocket if I'm seriously interested and want to get a good deal and have not been disappointed with a purchase yet.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The first rule when looking for a horse to buy is 'read the ad!'. Then read it again - and again. Look for what has been missed out. If the ad doesn't say 'easy to catch' for example, it probably isn't. Read between the lines, usually a load of guff, wittering about how much the current owner loves this absolute superstar (so why is it for sale?) hides all the reasons s/he can't ride it.

joulsey

Visit site
And don't be surprised that an ISH is part TB. Especially if you then try to tell the owner they don't know anything about horses.

TBH I think anything goes at the moment when I comes to ISH. I really wanted to ask owner what breeding the one I went to see was, but I think I would have either got Durrrr, TBxID, which I highly doubt it was , or something like TBx Connemara. But seems as it was too small, it was pointless asking

oldie48

Visit site
We had an eventer by Ricardo Z out of a TB/ID mare so technically he had some ID but not much, there was Hannovarian plus some TB and also some Selle Francais but he was a reg ISH. Lovely kind horse but not the brightest!
TBH I think anything goes at the moment when I comes to ISH. I really wanted to ask owner what breeding the one I went to see was, but I think I would have either got Durrrr, TBxID, which I highly doubt it was , or something like TBx Connemara. But seems as it was too small, it was pointless asking