Runaway ex racer!

Bav

Visit site
Just watched this. I don't know why I'm laughing cause it's no joke. I think it's the editing and the 'for f sake' that just gets me 😂

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Wonder why he fell off, though? The horse was going straight, not all that fast, and other than yelling the rider didn't seem to be actually doing much....

asterope

Visit site
Wonder why he fell off, though? The horse was going straight, not all that fast, and other than yelling the rider didn't seem to be actually doing much....

He bailed out. He says in the comments that he knew that there was a closed gate around the corner and wanted to avoid being hurled into it at speed.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

In the comments he said that he bailed out.

Sometimes with these horses you need to ease off the contact, relax and sit up (like a jockey would do) to get them to slow up, even after retraining. I had it happen to me with an old chap who hadn't raced for years in the go-round in a showing class once.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think he was probably quite novice/didn't have a clue what to do about the situation other than ask the horse to woah. I've seen similar with a usually very generous ex racer who decided to go for a jolly.

alainax

Visit site
The shouting didn't help! Horse looked like it just fancied a good blast! There was no sudden spook and take off at break neck speed. A nice gradual increase due to the jockey egging him on with shouting :p

stormox

Visit site
I thought the whole thing was set up as a complete joke?
I don't think for a minute it's serious or even supposed to be

I dont think it was a set up- the horse is just enjoying a good gallop, he isnt bolting. And he thinks the rider is cheering him on!!!......... I think the rider isnt experienced at all, shouting like that then falling off on a straight line.
I would have yanked hard on one rein and put him into the hedge if he REALLY wasnt stopping.

asterope

Visit site
The man who posted the video does actually explain - he isn't very experienced and the horse isn't his, although he had ridden it before and everything had been fine. He wasn't alone but was in company (company that Shamrock left far behind!). He bailed out because he knew that there was a gate around the corner and didn't fancy being thrown into it. I'm not sure why any of this seems unreasonable, or why the video appears to be a "set up"?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I suppose because I find it hard to believe anyone would put a person that novicey into that situation. To then happen to have a head cam recording it all seems rather contrived.

Personally I would be mortified if I allowed such a thing to happen and the last thing I would then want to do would be to publicise it but we're all different. Some people clearly think it's funny, which I do not.

gothdolly

Visit site
Shamrock was having fun! I'm sure I wouldn't have thought it was funny if I had been on board though. I might not have tried the "turn in to a hedge" trick, what if he started to leap hurdles?!

Visit site
Shamrock was having fun! I'm sure I wouldn't have thought it was funny if I had been on board though. I might not have tried the "turn in to a hedge" trick, what if he started to leap hurdles?!

'Cos the horse only ran on the flat and probably wouldn't take on a hedge ;)

The horse didn't look as though he was bolting, he was just having a jolly old time of it!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I didn't mean set up as in someone put a person in a dangerous situ more that the rider (probably a perfectly adequate rider) made a funny video pretending to be bolted with.
The horse isn't bolting and the rider doesn't sound at all scared does he?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I will admit to also being somewhat unconvinced, though why anyone would fall off by choice is beyond me. I don't think a stronger bit is required he didn't seem to make any sensible attempt to stop with what he had and I think he had plenty of chance of stopping.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I sympathise with the guy - it's quite difficult to turn a horse into a hedge along a narrow track and he openly admits he's not the most experienced rider. Would I have bailed at the point he did? Probably not but I don't think it was a hugely illogical thing to do actually. Being hurtled into a gate hurts! Some quite mean comments on the youtube video - no one was hurt and I bet there's not a single person on this forum that has never been in a silly situation like that at some point. We were all learners once!