running martingale - with or without hunter breastplate

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Hi

Could anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of a running martingale with a hunter breastplate compared to an ordinary running martingale.

be positive

Visit site
It depends if you need or want to use a breastplate, if not use a martingale on its own, it means you only have one piece of equipment to deal with.
The effect is much the same although a breastplate is useful as you can remove the attachment if not required.

rhino

Visit site
Breastplate will help keep the saddle in place (obviously should have a well fitted saddle anyway but good in emergencies) and also be a better 'neck-strap' if one is required; running martingales are more likely to move up the neck if grabbed :)

starsnrunes

Visit site
The only real advantage is that the hunter breastplate stops the saddle from slipping. The Martingale works exactly the same. No disadvantages that I can think off except its more tack to mess with.

Personally I prefer hunter breastplates to standard martingales as they look smarter.

100_0442.jpg

compared to
208237_1928265523134_1137079407_2291276_3395086_n-1.jpg

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Thanks very much. Rhino, that was my line of thinking, the neck strap would stay in place better and with my newly backed mare I think that is important.

Thanks for the pictures starsrunes. Very helpful. :D