Running out of Grass

Bellalily

Visit site
Down here in the normally luscious green fields of Devon, we are a tad short of grass and YO has asked me to bring mine in during the day, or she will if I am not around (at no charge to me).
I was quite surprised as we still have a fair bit of the green stuff about.
BUT...
Yesterday I went on the train from Exeter to Salisbury and OMG!! It's like a desert, cows in fields which are completely brown and only a few weeds in, mile after mile of brown, bare fields which have either been grazed or taken for hay.
I was stunned by what I was seeing, especially so early in the summer. Now I am more than happy for mine to come in during the day, have a decent hay supplier so I'm happy.
I was on fb the other day and people all over the UK were saying they had completely run out.
How is everyone coping?

Antw23uk

Visit site
To be honest there are better reasons to bring in. I would keep them out ... its not like you are 'saving' the grass by not grazing it, once its burnt and dead its burnt and dead so might as well let them eat it whilst its still green! I will likely be putting a couple of haynets on the yard going forward if we dont get a change in the weather soon as our grass has nearly all but gone but they are still rather round so not in any rush!

HashRouge

Visit site
I am fine so far. Mine are strip grazed and currently we are about halfway through their (large) summer field. Not sure how big the field is exactly but we have plenty left. They only strange thing is the grass just not growing back in the rest of the field where they have been grazing! Last year we got just past the halfway point in the field and then that was it, I didn't give them anymore grass. Can't see that happening this year though!

AGray825

Visit site
We're doing alright personally, but I can't say the same for what I'm seeing around me. We've got 4 on 6 acres (2 ponies who need virtually nothing to maintain a good weight, 1 horse who does well on long grass when it's older and not full of sugars and 1 thoroughbred that actually needs the good grass) so our fields are still doing okay, thought you can see the cracked mud underneath the grass covering! We need the rain though otherwise we'll have to use a bit of the rested winter paddock and that's not going to be ideal if we have another long winter....

Seen lots of brown bare fields around me though, so I think there is a widespread issue!

little_critter

Visit site
Mine have already eaten the first half of their field, which has now been resting for about 3-4 weeks but has not regrown much.
I reckon they have about 2 weeks of grass left on the 2nd half of their field. Then they could go back on the first half and possible scrape another 2 weeks worth of grass from it but then I will be totally out of grass.
I would hope by then we will have had some rain and the grass will start growing again. If not I'll have to start putting out hay. They already come in during the day to get out of the sun and flies.

doodle

Visit site
We have run out. No rain for 6 weeks and everyone's fields are brown and frazzled. I am bringing in in the afternoon so he can eat some hay.

Fiona

Visit site
OK so far, but I'm glad there is rain in the forecast now.

We strip graze, so can give them a little fresh bit to eat every day, just a foot or so.

The rest that has already been grazed is looking brown though, with no sign of regrowth.

Fiona

SEL

Visit site
I fence off the middle of my paddock so they have a track around the edge - they are metabolic good doers. Usually by now the middle bit is long and lush and I'm praying the electric fencing will hold up.

Right now its a tiny bit greener than the african savannah that's sprung up around it. The fencing posts are either stuck solid in the ground or falling out of the earthquake sized cracks in the clay. I've been shrinking the middle bit each night to give them something to eat once the hay runs out but they both got into the middle yesterday - and were mightily disappointed at what they found (or didn't find, in the case of lush grass)

So on one hand its helpful because I won't be having sleepless nights about sick ponies gorging on grass, but I think hay is going to be very expensive this year and probably in short supply too,

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm running out of the RIGHT sort of grass, the dry brown low calorie stuff that suits my two Cushing's ladies so well. Or rather, it's there, but I can't shift the damn plastic posts to strip graze them onto it as the ground is so hard!

So much grass at the end of May that I had to run the lawnmower over it before letting the neds onto it.

vVspOWI.jpg

And the same field today. Crisp and brown.

3Ea1tju.jpg

I've another lower field which is not as well drained and has a lot of grass, but that I can't strip graze into that either because it's too rich and lush. I need to wait for winter for that when it's become stemmy foggage.

Farmers round here are already having to feed this year's hay to outliving stock as there isn't enough grass for them :(.

meleeka

Visit site
I fence off the middle of my paddock so they have a track around the edge - they are metabolic good doers. Usually by now the middle bit is long and lush and I'm praying the electric fencing will hold up.

Right now its a tiny bit greener than the african savannah that's sprung up around it. The fencing posts are either stuck solid in the ground or falling out of the earthquake sized cracks in the clay. I've been shrinking the middle bit each night to give them something to eat once the hay runs out but they both got into the middle yesterday - and were mightily disappointed at what they found (or didn't find, in the case of lush grass)

So on one hand its helpful because I won't be having sleepless nights about sick ponies gorging on grass, but I think hay is going to be very expensive this year and probably in short supply too,

Same here. I am moving the posts every couple of days to give them a bit, but it’s hardly worth the effort as I have to carefully use a hammer on the posts. If we get any rain I’ll have to move it all back again!

Wheels

Visit site
I haven't had any grass at all this summer - my fields were so damaged after the wet summer / autumn / winter that I burnt off half of the field and re-seeded ready for next year and the other half is so damaged it's just full of docks. Next year I will burn this side off and re-seed but I needed somewhere to turn them out.

We have had a shortage of hay but managed to just get enough to keep us going

Lintel

Visit site
I'm in heaven... two fatties that are lami prone and came out of winter a bit plump- burnt rubbish grass is suiting me very well in Scotland!

ihatework

Visit site
To be honest it’s nice to be able to turn out without weight gain.
Makes managing horses so much easier.
Hay during day while they are in. Hard feed according to work needs and no fat, gassy slugs when they come in off the field!

Ben2684

Visit site
Our fields look rough but horses look fab, in during the day with haylage though- More for the flies (new forest) thanks nothing but it helps. People at the yard are worried but I say look at the horse not the field and they are all looking pretty good. Nice to not be fighting a weight gain battle in a way.

Bellalily

Visit site
To be honest there are better reasons to bring in. I would keep them out ... its not like you are 'saving' the grass by not grazing it, once its burnt and dead its burnt and dead so might as well let them eat it whilst its still green! I will likely be putting a couple of haynets on the yard going forward if we dont get a change in the weather soon as our grass has nearly all but gone but they are still rather round so not in any rush!

Don't have a choice, YO's orders and tbh the neddies are waiting at the gate each morning. My bank balance hadn't reckoned on it tho, this is usually the cheap time of year :(

Bellalily

Visit site
I'm running out of the RIGHT sort of grass, the dry brown low calorie stuff that suits my two Cushing's ladies so well. Or rather, it's there, but I can't shift the damn plastic posts to strip graze them onto it as the ground is so hard!

So much grass at the end of May that I had to run the lawnmower over it before letting the neds onto it.

vVspOWI.jpg

And the same field today. Crisp and brown.

3Ea1tju.jpg

I've another lower field which is not as well drained and has a lot of grass, but that I can't strip graze into that either because it's too rich and lush. I need to wait for winter for that when it's become stemmy foggage.

Farmers round here are already having to feed this year's hay to outliving stock as there isn't enough grass for them :(.
Yup, similar picture here too.

windand rain

Visit site
I agree Cortez not having to worry about the laminitic one is a huge relief. Will have to cut right back on the track if we are threatened with even a shower though as I am certain it will be very sugary when it does get wet

chaps89

Visit site
This is the first time in the 4 years I've owned fatty that she is out without a muzzle and it's not the depths of winter. If I'm being really fussy I'd like the ground a bit softer so I can do more than walk and a few trot spells to try and shift the weigh she put on in spring (despite my best efforts I got caught out) but she's definitely not gaining any more so I'll take that!
No idea how those of you who are strip grazing are managing to move fence posts though?! The ground is like concrete here!

WelshD

Visit site
I've run out of grass. Mine are out at night with this year's hay and in during the day on hay and as much fibre feed as I can shovel in to them, one is dropping weight though!

rachk89

Visit site
Our grass is horrible right now, theres dry sandy patches all over the place. This is Scotland! We haven't gone this long without rain in decades.

Thankfully it rained today and will tomorrow too. Should become fine again quickly but it's been worrying. Actually got told to be conservative with the water supply. Never been told that in my whole time here (nearly 30 years).

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'm also in heaven, as well as my YO (full livery)!
5 horses out on 10 acres but no one is putting on weight and most have actually lost the extra weight they came out of winter with. YO is incredibly happy that she's not having to bring in every day to give everyone a rest from the grass. As a bonus the winter field is now standing hay so they'll be fine all winter too :).

Leo Walker

Visit site
My field has an underground spring so its doing ok. His current small paddock is pretty bare but hes clearly eating it off as it grows as the resting paddock next to him has come back green in a couple of weeks. I feed hay all year round though so dont rely on grass keep.

pippixox

Visit site
I have had to increase my horses track as it was starting to look like a desert. I didn't top when I normally did as ragwort had grown, and it has actually protected my grass a bit having really high docks (thanks to poached ground from the rubbish wet winter- such a contrast!). but like some others have mentioned, it is working well for the fatties! it is amazing how they always seem to be grazing even in the areas that look like nothing.

I have been bringing in due to the shear heat, stayed out today though as a good 6-7 degrees cooler.

the rested area is certainly not as lush as it would normally be. but I'm not worrying yet. I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant, so can garuntee a heat wave until I give birth!!! so I predict rain in 3 weeks everyone!

Visit site
May be a hay shortage this year for people that buy in, Farmers are short of grazing too and having to feed.
Praying for rain in the South East