Running reins at dressage

Haffenden1987

New User
Visit site
Saw someone warming up in running reins at a dressage the other day and have made a complaint to the show ground. Am I right that it's not allowed? I can't find any rules against it and am worried I have made a complaint for no reason.

Shay

Visit site
The term running reins can also refer to a market harbourough, also sometime called a german martingale. Not sure which country you are in OP so it might help to describe more precisely what you saw?

In general terms if the use of something is not permitted and you reported it to the stewards at the time the offender will have been approached and asked to stop (although sometimes they just go off into the lorry park and carry on...). Different organisations have different rules. BD doesn't permit this; but other organisations might. And it may differ from country to country. If it wasn't a problem then no-one will have taken any notice. All sorts of things technically not permitted tend to go on at low level where warm up arenas do not have professional stewards.

Batgirl

Visit site
from the BD rule book:

133.Tack while warming up Whilst warming up, horses may wear only the saddlery allowed for their level of competition, except: • Boots, bandages and whips are permitted. • Riders who are visually impaired should wear a white armband. Warming up in anything other than permitted saddlery (unless specified above) will entail the elimination of both horse and owner/rider from all classes on the day. Anyone seeing this rule being breached should immediately report it to the Organiser who is to eliminate the horse/rider.

Haffenden1987

New User
Visit site
I can't find anywhere on website to say if they were running by bd rules? Do you just presume that most places that are holding dressage goes by these rules?

Shay

Visit site
Not really. Many places not running BD will not have any rules at all. But some might be running under pony club or riding club rules. The schedule should tell you what rules were in use.

Edited to add: A very quick skim read of the PC and BRC rules suggests that the use of tack not permitted in the test will still be permitted in the warm up arena as long as its use is not cruel. But that was a quick skim....

Last edited:

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Was the rider actually competing of HC?
Just thinking if HC and on a youngster or something naughty they may have put on as a safety net and then technically not competing so doesn't make any difference overall and generally when HC you can have 'wrong' tack to certain extent (I did my first with my old ex racer in a martingale as he had a habit of head up and running through bridle but needed to get out and about)