Running sideways to jumps!

zara watson

New User
Visit site
Hey everyone, I’m looking for a bit of help. My horse gets fairly hot when jumping and he used to rush but I have learnt to deal with that now, his new trick is trotting or cantering sideways up to jumps. I have no idea how to stop it and it’s a pain in the butt! He swings his whole hindquarters away from my leg. Help appreciated, thankyou!

Bob notacob

Visit site
Unfortunately you havnt dealt with the rushing .You have merely stopped him going forwards ...so he goes sideways . He knows that while you are struggling to hold him back your leg aids become ineffective and that he can turn sideways . Its very unnerving taking an xc fence sideways lol.I know as I have an Irish nutcase who insists (against all available evidence) that he knows best . It may sound counter intuitive but if you can use them well.Spurs help . (if you cant ,dont even go there)Being able to insist on swinging back into line .Dont try this over solid fences as there will be a certain amount of wrong strides during reeducation. Definitely get good help though ,as has been suggested.

Mule

Visit site
Mine still tries this the odd time. If there's a jump in the arena but we're doing flat work he'll try to zoom over to it sideways :D He loves his jumping! Anyway it's an excitable, rushing thing. I would second a good trainer as it can be hard to deal with yourself.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Two poles parallel to each other up to the jump, keep him in trot until he's straight. I also stop them at random points before the jump, and immediately after, so they anticipate coming back to me rather than dive bombing the fence.