Running with the 4 Shires

DaveSkywalker

Visit site
So just agreed to run two of the meets for the 4 Shires in December. Think I need to start doing some more hill training after reading on here that they are very fast :p

DaveSkywalker

Visit site
Oooh which ones? I hunt with them. They are a lovely, friendly, welcoming bunch!

Doing 7th and the 26th. Might be doing more if they are needing a runner. Went out a few weeks ago on hound exercises with another runner to show me the ropes. A lot of fun. Just hope I am fast enough for you lot.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Kat am thinking of going along too, mainly to laugh at DSW, but concerned it will be too fast for my old pone. She's 21 and fit as a flea but is the type that will keep going whatever and have heard bloodhounds are really quick! We also don't jump out hunting either for various reasons so would be left behind?

Kat

Visit site
The four shires always have a non-jumping field and they literally don't jump a stick. There is always a way round. They are incredibly friendly and welcoming and I have never known anyone be left behind. There are normally some regulars at the back taking it steady and the quad follows too in case of problems.

I hear people say bloodhounds are fast and furious etc and it totally doesn't match my experience. I feel much safer with them than the foxhound pack I tried and I have spoken to people who go with the four shires having been frightened by the antics of the foxhound packs.

I go with my YO's daughter who is often on her elderly 12hh pony with COPD and my friend on her 22yr old horse and neither have problems keeping up.

Give it a go, I am sure that you will enjoy yourself. If I am going that day you would be welcome to buddy up with us. If not EquiEquestrian on here is a regular and is very friendly.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
If not EquiEquestrian on here is a regular and is very friendly.

Kat am thinking of going along too, mainly to laugh at DSW, but concerned it will be too fast for my old pone. She's 21 and fit as a flea but is the type that will keep going whatever and have heard bloodhounds are really quick! We also don't jump out hunting either for various reasons so would be left behind?

Hi ESW, I'm EE556 :) As Kat has said, we're all a very friendly pack, and in the 3 seasons I've hunted with the 4 Shires, they've NEVER left anyone behind.

They'll always be somebody to wait for you if you're horse needs a quick rest, and the team on the quad can also help. Everybody helps you out. You don't have to jump if you don't want to, just stick to the second field (non-jumping) and have lots of fun - every horse & rider that come out with us have a fantastic time!

I'm out this Sunday, we're at Kelstedge I believe, why not come and have some fun? :)

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Iam Sorry for my late response, I could not make Sunday I hope you had a great day. I will be out on the 14th will you be there?

That's a shame, yes we had a great day. Unfortunately we have other plans for the 14th, but it is a very nice meet, with lots of small (2ft6ish) XC jumps at the start.

Hairy Horror

Visit site
That's a shame, yes we had a great day. Unfortunately we have other plans for the 14th, but it is a very nice meet, with lots of small (2ft6ish) XC jumps at the start.

That's a shame, hopefully we will be able to meet another time. Enjoy what ever you are doing and thanks for letting me know. Iam really looking forward to going.

Wimbles

Visit site
Hopefully be there on 14th, not been out since 16th November when my old lad sadly pulled a tendon :(

I can confirm that the Four Shires always offer a warm welcome and look after you. They were so concerned when my big lad hurt himself.

Will try not to break any of the others this time!

DaveSkywalker

Visit site
Unfortunately due to the combination of my ankle a dog and a set of stairs I will not be being the runner for tomorrow. They have found another and I am totally gutted not being able to do it. We will be there to say hello. As soon as the tendons and ligaments in my ankle fix themselves enough I will be back out.