Runny poos - advice please?!

Hatts24

Visit site
Hi all, I purchased a new horse (5 year-old Cob) in early January and when he arrived he was quite nervous and seemed to poo frequently and his poos were quite runny. After having a chat with everyone on the yard we came to the conclusion that these were just nervous poos as our first hack out we were stopping constantly! They have got better now he has settled in but they are still a little 'cow-patty'. What supplements would you recommend to try and balance his gut out or help this? He is turned out in the day, hay net at night, straw bedding and is fed a small handful of Light Chaff and Lo-Cal Balancer. Wormed, up to date on everything etc. The feed is different to what he was on before but I thought by now he might have adapted to this.

Thanks in advance!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'd put him on pink powder. Its because there is too much water in the hind gut or to do with absorption in the hind gut. NAF also sell 'Biotics' which is something to put your horse on before putting it on pink powder as its more powerful as a loading dose.

MonkeyTheNF

Visit site
When horses at our yard got runny poos when we moved to the very rich winter fields and the only thing that worked was a local granular charcoal supplement. It was a god send to all us full livery helpers (trying to remote the poo from the straw was not fun!:oops:!)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'd put him on pink powder. Its because there is too much water in the hind gut or to do with absorption in the hind gut. NAF also sell 'Biotics' which is something to put your horse on before putting it on pink powder as its more powerful as a loading dose.

I wouldn't! It's horrible stuff, full of rubbish and made our two very footy and silly when we used it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when i first had my loan horse would always get runny of we changed fields so i used protexin and it worked well...once i got to know her as soon as i knew we were changing fields i would use protexin a couple of days before so never had the problem again...