Rushing before and after jump?

Horseperson432

Visit site
Any advice out there for a young pony who rushes before and after a fence?
He’ll happily trot up to the jump calmly without rushing off but as soon as I ask him to go in canter he accelerated to 100mph straight away and just charges at the jump, and then continues for a bit after making it extremely hard for me to turn to another jump etc.
I have tried grid work and that seems to be helping but as soon as I try a single jump we’re back to stage 1. It seems no matter how much I use my seat I can’t find another gear that isn’t a literal charge.
Obviously I don’t want to be yanking on his mouth to get him to stop as I believe giving him something to run away from isn’t going to be particularly successful! I need help developing a nice consistent canter where I don’t feel like I’m just sat on board but am actually riding “with” him. He’s very forward and I would hate to change that but I need control! Thank you in advanced!

Shay

Visit site
How young and at what stage of training? Does he have the self carriage and musculature to do what you are asking or is he rusing becuase he is unbalanced?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Any advice out there for a young pony who rushes before and after a fence?

There is a long post on rushing fences on the Noelle Floyd Masterclasses thread. Post number 22 if you don't want to read the whole thread to find it. I have found these approaches incredibly useful.

Horseperson432

Visit site
How young and at what stage of training? Does he have the self carriage and musculature to do what you are asking or is he rusing becuase he is unbalanced?
Hi, he’s 6. He definitely carries himself well as far as I am aware but now you raise the suggestion I will be taking a closer look as he also struggles to produce a slower canter to a certain extent on the flat. He has just started very low level SJ.

Riding With Rhi

New User
Visit site
It's simliar to grid but my horses rushes too and have you tried this exercise with a canter pole? Walk/trot up to the pole as i do in the vid + then canter from it. perhaps eventually you can take the pole after away, then the pole before. Or could you set up this exercise. + put a pole a round the corner after the jump. Every time you hit that corner pole, you trot. Repeat it every time until he anticipates the change of pace? Good luck!

Horseperson432

Visit site
T
It's simliar to grid but my horses rushes too and have you tried this exercise with a canter pole? Walk/trot up to the pole as i do in the vid + then canter from it. perhaps eventually you can take the pole after away, then the pole before. Or could you set up this exercise. + put a pole a round the corner after the jump. Every time you hit that corner pole, you trot. Repeat it every time until he anticipates the change of pace? Good luck!
Thats rlly helpful thanks!! Will give it a try! :)