Rushing forward and anxious, how can I help him?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I am the proud new Mum of a gorgeous 15hh Connie gelding. He’s rising 8 and has pretty much done nothing but hunt in Ireland.

He has settled brilliantly in the 5 weeks since I’ve had him. He’s super relaxed and chilled about life. Lays down in his box and sleeps every day, happy to be tacked up and is the sort who wants to get on with life, strides out happily alone or in company and not at all nappy ... but...

While we are out, he is continually concerned about what’s behind him, he turns his head to check constantly. If something spooks him, he rushes forward a few steps. He pulls up easily, so no drama, but I’d really like to reassure him and help him be more relaxed about life if I can. be lovely to get passed this.

His ear is always on me, so I do try to talk to him, and obviously I make much of him when he gets stuff right.

Any tricks or ideas, gratefully considered.

J&S

Visit site
Do you always ride alone? I am just wondering if he is looking back to see where "the others" are.......... from his hunting days.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some hunters have never hacked alone , this may well be your issue .
I would pick half a dozen rides and repeat them constantly .
Try to be laid back and confident with him .

M1lbie

Visit site
When I first had my Connie he was very much like yours, constantly checking behind him and turning his head slightly to keep an eye on what was happening behind him. He is also Irish bred and was slightly whip shy to the extent that 5 years on I still don’t carry a whip when hacking. Once he became familiar with our hacking routes this behaviour stopped and now even on new routes it only happens occasionally. He used to do it regardless of whether hacking alone or in company.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Do you always ride alone? I am just wondering if he is looking back to see where "the others" are.......... from his hunting days.
Usually alone, but he does the same in company. Doesn’t seem to be worried about being separated from others and I’ve even met horses out, stopped for a chat and moved off without issue.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
When I first had my Connie he was very much like yours, constantly checking behind him and turning his head slightly to keep an eye on what was happening behind him. He is also Irish bred and was slightly whip shy to the extent that 5 years on I still don’t carry a whip when hacking. Once he became familiar with our hacking routes this behaviour stopped and now even on new routes it only happens occasionally. He used to do it regardless of whether hacking alone or in company.
He isn’t whip shy, obviously not pleased if I use it ? but not worried by it. Lunges well, with no lunge whip worries and happy enough to school with a schooling whip too, but I’ll bear it in mind. Thanks.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Is he irish backed? They can be very concered about being chased and somewhat whip shy. I've had several - it can be sorted. But does that sit with what you are seeing?
Yes, he doesn’t seem whip shy, but he’s so focused on what might be behind him, he‘s shocked when he sees what’s in front!

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Doesn’t seem worried by lack of company, happy enough to meet and move on while out in the forest.

Surbie

Visit site
Update - he’s improved a lot. Still obsessed with what’s behind him, but less likely to rush forward. We’ve stuck to some simple routes, he’s much more confident and relaxed but I do throw him a curve from time to time to keep it interesting.

Great to hear he's improved. :) A friend's Connie was the same, constantly checking for monsters behind him and rushing forward into my horse's bum when he thought he'd found some. He came from a hunting home. Lots and LOTS of steady hacking over 6-8 months has turned him into a different pony - like yours he is a total dude and the consistent work has made him more so. I don't think he will ever lose his worries completely but my friend's daughter is now comfortable hacking him out at all paces and she would only walk him before.