Rushing or dawdling!

Pippity

Visit site
One of the ponies I ride seems to have two gears - either slobbing along, or doing his best motorcycle wall of death around the school.

Any suggestions on how to get him using his back end more without rushing?

At the moment, I've been doing quite a bit of pole work. It keeps him steadier when the poles are there, but he goes straight back to his old ways as soon as they're past.

(I'm sure a better rider than me could get him working properly, but I'm afraid he's stuck with me for the moment.)

sue12345

Visit site
My cob was the same once. Lots of transistions, half halts and circles would steady him. At first just letting him go and get it out of his system got him listening to me and not hang ing on to him. Hope this helps.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My pony is exactly the same. Some days a very slow walk is all I'll get, others I dont have any brakes and fast canter is his only gate (Only in the school this happens) So I have gone right back to basics with lunge work in walk and a bit of trot. Millions of transitions from walk/trot/halt and some pole work. Haven't ridden him yet so not sure if it's having an effect but the lungeing is definitely improving.