Rushy ex racer - should I try a different approach

handbagsandhay

Visit site
Hi, I have posted a couple of times before about progress with the beautiful ex racer i am exercising just now. We have got over the spooking in the school which was a big achievement. I am now trying to build up more trot to up his fitness. Last night he was very "rushy" feeling and trying to get his head in the air. I was doing lots of circles, walk to halt, halt to trot to etc to get him back in and listening and it was working a treat. however at one point I did panic when I felt he was ready for the off and yanked him. I was worried sick about it last night and today as it goes against everything I know not to do to build his confidence in me!! And I can't ride again until tomorrow so I am now worrying and hoping I haven't any undone any of the good wprogress he has made.

Anyway to avoid making this mistake again am I best to give him a bit more rein when he starts fighting? Try and control more with my seat and voice? he is quite sensitive and really draws his confidence from his rider so I want to build that confidence up (hence my annoyance at myself for the slight panic/pull yesterday)

Any advice appreciated - I really don't want to be tanked around the school - but there again it wouldn't be the first time it's happened (on different horses) and I survived!

I can't ride tonight but I will go and give him a wee pamper session.

atropa

Visit site
I have an ISH that can rush a lot if she is excited/confused/not concentrating/doesn't want to work properly. I find the best way for me to deal with it is to perform a very firm half halt (with hand, seat, legs AND core), not taking no for an answer. I then give her something different to concentrate on immediately, eg a bit of lateral movement, change in direction or size of circle. Having said that, she is a very large and strong mare, and we are at the stage of schooling where she should know that rushing off is not acceptable, and so needs reminded firmly of her manners. I'm not entirely sure I would do the same on an ex racer so that's probably not much help to you, sorry! But don't feel too bad - no horse was ever ruined from one panic pull on its mouth, especially when the rider is obviously feeling so guilty about it.

ETA: this probably goes without saying but once my mare responds appropriately to my half halt, I release all the added pressure as immediately as I can, or she will end up rushing more.

Scarlett

Visit site
Let go.

I have 3 exracers and have had more before them. The best thing I ever learned is to just let go, especially if rushing. Long, loose rein. Walk and let them stretch while you just move around the school as a start. Also you must keep your leg on. The instant reaction is to hang on and keep the leg off. Once you let the horse relax and find his balance, then the rushing becomes less. Let him use his neck to balance. The frame will gradually change and the neck lower as he gets stronger. It takes time though.

Also I wouldn't do to many transitions and changes of rein etc now, let the horse learn to just walk and trot softly in a straight line. Constantly changing what you are doing will cause the horse more anxiety and make him rush more IMO, concentrate on the very simple basics - does the horse move off the leg? Does the horse halt softly? That doesn't mean hanging on and pulling into a frame, it means keeping the neck soft, nose out in front and stretching to the bit.

Once you can do that you will start to get somewhere.

pippixox

Visit site
As above.
Remeber they spent most of their previous life going in straight lines. Schooling is very hard for them and takes time. My saintly ex-racer only ever took off twice and it was in the school in the first year. They may have done circles on a walker. But there fore that would have been with no contact in the mouth.

I could literally gallop on a hack with other horses and my ex racer (successful winning on the flat, not too slow for the job!) who slow when I asked- I used my seat and voice and very little reign. As soon as you take up too much contact it can I think make them think of the short racing reign and make hem revert back to fast

handbagsandhay

Visit site
I should say he isn't fresh of the track. He has been out of racing for a good few years and has been ridden/schooled. His owner hasn't worked him properly (the odd wee hack here and there) in almost a year though and is now away travelling so he is rather fresh. I am bringing him back into work and getting his fitness up while she is away. All my schooling plans for last night didn't exactly go to plan - we had to share the school for the first ten minutes, then a dog ran in, then someone went up the field on the quad.....all spooky things for the big boy BUT he done really well actually, very minor jumps and these are all things he really needs to be used to so I am taking the positive in it! Going to have a good work at the trot tonight!

handbagsandhay

Visit site
As above.
Remeber they spent most of their previous life going in straight lines. Schooling is very hard for them and takes time. My saintly ex-racer only ever took off twice and it was in the school in the first year. They may have done circles on a walker. But there fore that would have been with no contact in the mouth.

I could literally gallop on a hack with other horses and my ex racer (successful winning on the flat, not too slow for the job!) who slow when I asked- I used my seat and voice and very little reign. As soon as you take up too much contact it can I think make them think of the short racing reign and make hem revert back to fast

Thank you for replying. The taking up contact with the reins definitely makes him speed up! I have been getting lessons focusing on position and controlling with seat and balance rather than being heavy handed. i started these before I started riding this boy but it is really really helping me. I really don't think he is trying to take off with me (he could easily have done so already) it does just seem that he is unbalanced. hopefully we will have a better session tonight. i really don't want to let him down

Carrottom

Visit site
I agree with Scarlett, sometimes it is better to limit your transitions and find exercises where you can keep your leg on in trot, e.g. spiraling in on a circle and leg yielding out. Shoulder fore is also good to develop balance in a horse with a tendency to rush. Try to take up a length of rein and keep it, don't fiddle. And don't worry too much about the odd mistake, they are very forgiving animals.

handbagsandhay

Visit site
I agree with Scarlett, sometimes it is better to limit your transitions and find exercises where you can keep your leg on in trot, e.g. spiraling in on a circle and leg yielding out. Shoulder fore is also good to develop balance in a horse with a tendency to rush. Try to take up a length of rein and keep it, don't fiddle. And don't worry too much about the odd mistake, they are very forgiving animals.

Ah leg yielding out a circle, yes that sounds like a good idea actually. My thoughts on the transitions was to keep him focussing on me instead of all the scary horse attaching things around the school which scare him :) I am quite conscious about not fiddling on the reins. Thank you he seems to have forgiven me even if I have not yet forgiven myself