Ryegrass hay

Emma_H

Visit site
So, we've run out of meadow hay at our yard and only have ryegrass hay left.

I'm sure ryegrass is not great for good doers but my yo says it's okay, just courser and less dusty.

I'm reluctant to give it to my cob who is looking a bit too well coming out of the winter.

Am I just being paranoid?

Circe

Visit site
Ryegrass is high in sugar, so I would def' soak it. Are your cobs hooves good? I wouldn't give it to a horse that had problem feet
Kx

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Soak it to remove sugars but supplement the diet with minerals, I don't have any problems with any hay as long as it is not dusty/moulty. Just adjust the diet accordingly.

bumper

Visit site
I don't have a good-doer, but I do have a lad that went toys-out-the-pram on ryegrass. It was like rocket fuel, so, be careful!

To explain (as I didn't), he's sugar intolerant anyway, I have since discovered, but I'd never give ryegrass hay to a horse again, after that experience. Could you buy in your own supply of hay?

Last edited:

Emma_H

Visit site
Thanks for all your help. I think I'm ultra cautious as have had a laminitic in the past.

My cob does have good feet but he's not slim after this mild winter and has a tendency to weight gain.

I think I'll have to soak it as can't bring in to yard from other sources.