Sad to say...

SadKen

Visit site
That my premonition (as posted previously) came true today.

Our old boy Fenris was ok this morning, went for his walk and ate his breakfast. When I got home this afternoon he was in some distress, with a very distended abdomen. Went to the vet who diagnosed bloat. We didn't want to put him thru surgery of any kind, and with his heart condition he probably would have died on the table, so we put him to sleep. It was very peaceful.

Clearly on a subconscious level at least I knew he didn't have long, but didn't expect it to be today - still, who ever does. On the plus side there was no long slow decline, he was fine this morning so hasn't suffered excessively. The vets were excellent and gave us plenty of time.

He was a weirdly wonderful character with no toy drive at all, seemingly becoming bored of all forms of playtime instantly after about 30 seconds and simply wandering off leaving other dogs and humans rather perplexed. Brilliant with puppies and so handsome, we will all miss him especially my younger dog who has never been on his own. There will need to be a post about GSD puppies soon, but not today.

I'm glad I had my premonition as I think in some way it prepared me for what was coming... at least as far as anyone can be prepared.

Here he is about 3 years ago in his prime. The bestest naughty dog.

20181121_194619.jpg

Littlefloof

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, but at least he had a quick and peaceful end.

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

SadKen

Visit site
So sorry to hear this, but at least he had a quick and peaceful end.

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

That's lovely. I would like to be all dog.

Thanks again folks for your kind thoughts. It's nice to hear from people who understand, although luckily nobody has said 'just a dog' to us this time!

Moobli

Visit site
Im so sorry. He was a wonderful dog who had a great life and you ensured he never suffered at the end. No dog could wont for more ❤️

Moobli

Visit site
That my premonition (as posted previously) came true today.

Our old boy Fenris was ok this morning, went for his walk and ate his breakfast. When I got home this afternoon he was in some distress, with a very distended abdomen. Went to the vet who diagnosed bloat. We didn't want to put him thru surgery of any kind, and with his heart condition he probably would have died on the table, so we put him to sleep. It was very peaceful.

Clearly on a subconscious level at least I knew he didn't have long, but didn't expect it to be today - still, who ever does. On the plus side there was no long slow decline, he was fine this morning so hasn't suffered excessively. The vets were excellent and gave us plenty of time.

He was a weirdly wonderful character with no toy drive at all, seemingly becoming bored of all forms of playtime instantly after about 30 seconds and simply wandering off leaving other dogs and humans rather perplexed. Brilliant with puppies and so handsome, we will all miss him especially my younger dog who has never been on his own. There will need to be a post about GSD puppies soon, but not today.

I'm glad I had my premonition as I think in some way it prepared me for what was coming... at least as far as anyone can be prepared.

Here he is about 3 years ago in his prime. The bestest naughty dog.

View attachment 27532

That is a wonderful photo. He was very handsome.