Saddle advice please....

marinitagsd

www.marinita-sportshorses.com
Hi everyone, I've recently gone back to ponies due to my ongoing health issues (not had a pony for over 30yrs! lol) so please accept my apologises if I sound a little "numb"!
I am looking to buy a new saddle, prob a 16.5" for my 14hds welsh section D who doesn't have any withers!
My question is........do I need a pony or a horse sized saddle? Also a good make, I'm not really into synthetic but open to ideas. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks
xx

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Cobs without withers can be very difficult as saddles tend to slip. I would get a qualified saddler to fit your saddle. Saddles with the three point girth straps are good as they help stop saddle slip.

marinitagsd

www.marinita-sportshorses.com
I always get a saddler out to fit my saddles but tend to try find one thats "near enough" that the saddler can flock to fit etc as if I ask them to bring saddles, they are over priced!!
I'm sure many of you will agree with that, just wanted some idea. Pony sized flaps or horse sized? Thanks x

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
You need measurements, not just someone else's idea of what is horse or pony sized. For someone your size I'd go for a 16.5 with out regular sized flaps, few people whether larger children or more petite adults, need anything else. If you would like advice I can look at pics and advise what Native Pony saddle might work, so that you can try and pick one up second hand. Wide horses are not easy to fit though, so fitting from a wide range of stock, all geared up to wider flatter horses, is much more accurate and successful than trying to predict which one saddle will work.