Saddle advice

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I have a very wide flat backed New Forester who was broken last year and schooled/hacked this year. She had her saddle checked and reflocked in May however she has muscled up since then and eaten lots of grass and changed shape.

Her current saddle is fine when in walk, trot and canter out hacking and doesn't move however in the school in canter (on circles) and over jumps her saddle moves up her neck.

I have the saddle fitter coming out again in a couple of weeks to check but obviously if no use will have to invest in another saddle so was wondering if there were any makes/style of saddle that best suited the flat backed type ponies?

Kezza

Visit site
point strap helps. And Thorowgood cob saddles I found to be the best on these types, not rider comfy but fit well and come with a balance strap and point strap.

teddyt

Visit site
Thorowgood cob saddle. They do a leather version too called kent and masters. They are only from 17" though but if your pony cant take this length then the PC version is made on the same tree and they have a 16" and a 161/2"

teddyt

Visit site
Yes they can but the tree and panel need to be right for the horse anyway, its not either/or. Is your TG quite old? Because they all come with a point strap now. None of the other models would suit a wide flat backed horse

Kizzy2004

Visit site
It a maxam GP, was brought new but obviously not the most UTD model availble.

If the saddle is no longer suitable i'll have to get another one, was just wondering on the different options available.

wattamus

Visit site
i used to have a wintec for my flat backed mare, but i bought an ideal saddle and that fits remarkably well they are used very often on flat backed native types, maybe it worth giving it a go :)

Kizzy2004

Visit site
Thanks gyus!!

I would love an Ideal saddle as my friends horse has one which i rode and it was so comfortable, bit out of my price range at mo unless saddlers got a nice 2nd hand one!!