Saddle bag recommendations (JFTD - might be useful to you too)

SaffronWelshDragon

www.facebook.com
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a saddle bag(s) for a bit of TREC but can't decide what design to get. Not keen on the huge ones which go either side of the saddle, at the back. Had one before and it just bounced around everywhere. A drinks bottle would be handy as well. Cost as always is a big issue, so was wondering between these designs, or a combination of them. Anyone got these and any thoughts?

101051.jpg

101061.jpg

PEHP-.jpg

PEPSB-1-.jpg
This goes in front of the saddle.

ShowPicture.aspx
Quite like this but tried it on today and it was too big round my waist. Though when mounted it's not exactly going to go anywhere!

product_full3017.jpg
Saw this today and it got me thinking but would think that if I put too much in it I'd get a sore shoulder after a few hours wearing it. Aren't there non-horsey active bags like these?

fatpony

Visit site
I made my own. One attatched with a clip to a D ring on the side of my cantle and then had a strap that went round the girth straps (like a numnah does but from behind) to stop it flapping around. The other was long and thin like a pencil case and attached in front of the pommel to the two D rings - that was easier to get into and small enough not to get in the way. Get creative :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have the shires saddle bags (not pictured in your post). I got them mainly to have room to carry hoof boots. They have quite good straps which go onto the girth and sit snuggly to my saddle and two bottles/holders. I don't think they bounce too much at all and I have plenty of room for the kitchen sink :D

Sprig

Visit site
I used to have a bag like the last one. I did not use it for riding but I found it spun around over time and annoyed me.

albeg

Visit site
I have these for TREC.
SAPSP-.jpg

I found they moved a small bit while cantering, although when I tried it out the water bottle holders were empty so maybe that was why, so they get strapped to my neck band as pony is a bit of a wuss. They also do ones without the bottle holders, but I find the bottle holders very handy.

WEBSITE

ETA: I can fit everything required for level 3/4 into mine - hoof boot, farriers tools, first aid kit, hoof pick and of course snacks for me and pony!

There are straps for attaching to the d-rings and the girth, as well as straps for attaching to a western saddle (not shown in the picture), which double up nicely as a jacket holder!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Aha I ordered this at the weekend:

51Ai6yI0RNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0080I0XCY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(massive kudos to the seller - I ordered it at stupid o clock on sunday, was despatched early Monday and I reckon it was the parcel RM tried to deliver while I was at work this morning - not bad for "standard" delivery! They are so efficient, they've made it worse for me as I'd have been in to accept delivery if it had come later in the week!!)

I didn't want pommel bags as Fergs hasn't got a lot of room in front of his saddle, so I went for cantle. I also didn't want really big, bulky ones like the shires panniers, and wasn't in a position to spend a lot. I reckon I'll fit all my kit in them - but then, I do use the smallest stuff I can find (my jacket is super thin and packs up tiny, first aid kit is miniscule etc) so not so bad.

What I really want though, is a bottle holder which I can fit one of these in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contigo-24-...sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1363721513&sr=1-2

21PH%2BOx-BVL._AA160_.jpg

^ The only drink bottle I can use on a horse without dribbling all over myself :eek: None of the standard bottle holders are big enough to house one though. I might have to get creative before next week!

Last edited:

albeg

Visit site
What I really want though, is a bottle holder which I can fit one of these in:

^ The only drink bottle I can use on a horse without dribbling all over myself :eek: None of the standard bottle holders are big enough to house one though. I might have to get creative before next week!

Does yours have the carabiner clip? Could you just clip it onto a d-ring? Or would it bounce/get in the way?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Does yours have the carabiner clip? Could you just clip it onto a d-ring? Or would it bounce/get in the way?

It does indeed but it will bounce off his shoulder. I want some means of securing it properly in addition to the clip :)

I reckon it's time to get creative ;)

tiga71

Visit site
I've got the red one in your images.

Used it the other weekend for a 32 km endurance ride and it was fab. Didn't bang about at all.

I have D rings on the back of my saddle so i clipped on to one side of my saddle and used the straps to attached to the girth. It didn't bounce around at all in trot or canter. Also got the matching drink bottle and holder and that clipped on to D ring at front and strapped down to girth straps, no movement either.

mandwhy

Visit site
I really need just a cheap bottle holder one that won't bounce as have no back d rings, I get so thirsty I can't ride out for more than an hour without gasping, been on many long hacks where I'm visualising water and running for the water trough like a loon when I get back! Please save me from ingesting water trough bugs!

P.s. no I'm not diabetic ;-)

albeg

Visit site
It does indeed but it will bounce off his shoulder. I want some means of securing it properly in addition to the clip :)

I reckon it's time to get creative ;)

Ooh, how about something like this
wba-mb11_xl.jpg

with an added clip for the d-ring and a strap to your girth?

ETA: more ideas here LINK

Kat

Visit site
I have a berghaus bum bag that is amazing and can be used for riding as well as hiking. Didn't cost much and it is all padded and vented and ergonomic and lovely. I would use yhat rather than buy a saddle bag.

Kat

Visit site
My bum bag has too pouches for bottles but I can fit my waterproof in one if I want. I bought it for my marathon but I am sure it would work for trec. It has never shifted or bounced while I am wearing it and I use it for about 90% of my hiking.

HardySoul1

Visit site
I do level 3 and 4 trec so have to take ALL the compulsory equipment, not easy on a small pony. I bought the Stowaway pommel bags from Performance Equestrian, photo already posted. They are extremely versatile, as they have lots pockets everything has its own place and don't bounce. I just added some cheap spur straps so I could attach jacket across the top. However they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
I do have an economical smaller pair but unfortunately they are no longer made. They also attach in front of saddle.
Don't bother buying anything which holds bottles unless they are strapped in. One decent buck and they fly out towards your pairs partner!
I just used a basic bum bag when I first started. You don't need to carry much at novice levels. A single bottle holder is useful, Perfeq do a cheaper copy of the Stowaway ones.

alex2

Visit site
Raddery Equine sell a good pommel bag, holds bottle on one side, big pocket on the other, plastic cover over the wither that can hold notes like pace counts etc, all of this sits on a specially shaped poly pad so comfy for horse.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't bother buying anything which holds bottles unless they are strapped in. One decent buck and they fly out towards your pairs partner!

Fergs doesn't buck, so that's just not an issue for us. He does have a very, very uphill canter though so wouldn't have anything I didn't think was secure, particularly not my beloved autoseal water bottle :D

I did an L2 once just tying stuff onto my saddle with baler twine. Looked properly chavtastic, but it worked well enough :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ooh, how about something like this
with an added clip for the d-ring and a strap to your girth?

ETA: more ideas here LINK

That pic is pretty much what I want. The PE ones are all too small - designed for 500ml bottles, not 750mL (it is pretty large!).

albeg

Visit site
That pic is pretty much what I want. The PE ones are all too small - designed for 500ml bottles, not 750mL (it is pretty large!).

One of them says it takes up to 800 ml.
Here it is, and it has a ring on the back for adding a strap to the girth.

JFTDWS

Visit site
One of them says it takes up to 800 ml.
Here it is, and it has a ring on the back for adding a strap to the girth.

I reckon that would take a standard style water bottle in 800ml, but mine's an odd shape, which would be more difficult to fit in and less secure once in I reckon :eek:

albeg

Visit site
I reckon that would take a standard style water bottle in 800ml, but mine's an odd shape, which would be more difficult to fit in and less secure once in I reckon :eek:

Sounds like you'll have to get the needle and thread out so! :D

albeg

Visit site
That's what I get for being too fussy... Where can I buy nylon :eek: I'm so not good at this practical lark :D

Hmmm, maybe somewhere that sells textiles/sewing stuff? Can't think of anywhere at the moment, the only places that are popping into my head are Irish chains...:eek:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ebay would seem to be my friend in this endeavour. I've found nylony material I could use, foam padding and draw strings. Game on :D