Saddle buying/selling do's and dont's

Cavalier18

New User
Visit site
I currently need a new dressage saddle as my current one no longer fits hence I was going to buy a second hand one and sell mine on.

I was just enquiring as to what the etiquette may be as I have never brought one off someone who does not know me. Do people general allow a trial period? I am willing to leave a deposit if they do not know me. I was hoping for my saddler to look at the saddle before but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Also then on the other hand, selling my current saddle, do I let others take it and trial it or just sell it straight up?

Just wondering what people's preferences are.

Many thanks

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I don't think many people would let someone they have never met take a saddle off on trial, they may allow full payment so you can take home, have a saddler look at it and return if it doesn't fit but there would usually be a limit of a few days, a deposit will not replace a stolen, broken or otherwise damaged saddle, so don't let yours go off either.
I usually buy and sell through my saddler, I am obviously happy to let him take mine away and pay when it is sold but I know and trust him.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I have taken a saddle locally on trial for 24 hours and left my driving licence with them as an assurance I wasn't going to pinch it.

dixie

Visit site
I've let local people have my saddle on trial.
One left me all the money, part chq tho, and I said I would refund if it didn't fit - it did.
Another was taken by a friend's livery, so I knew where it was going. Sadly that one came back.
I wouldn't let a complete stranger take it without payment.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You need to have one rule for all, simples.

My rule, when I've sold the odd secondhand saddle, is that there's "no carry without cash!!" i.e. if they want to try the saddle, they can only take it away if they pay up IN FULL for the FULL ASKING PRICE. No exceptions. I don't care whether they know a friend-of-a-friend; only live around the corner, or whatever.

If anyone wants to take any saddle of mine on trial and get their full money back, I also insist on them signing a written agreement with the following stipulations:

The saddle MUST be tried on with a numnah underneath to protect the underside.

The saddle must not be ridden on in the wet unless a suitable waterproof cover (which I will supply if needed) is used on top.

The saddle must NOT be cleaned at all (this is specially important with for e.g. a suede-seat saddle as if someone doesn't know how to clean it properly it can easily be ruined).

The saddle must be returned within 24 hrs in the same condition as it was when it was taken.

It is up to the buyer to check that the saddle fits to their satisfaction and whilst the buyer is welcome to obtain the services of a saddle fitter to this effect NO flocking or other changes must be made to the saddle if it is to be returned as unsuitable.

The seller is allowing the saddle to go for trial at their own discretion; and if deemed unsuitable, provided the above conditions have been adhered to fully, the seller will refund the buyer the cash paid, minus £10. (this hopefully to discourage timewasters etc)

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
I've sold a few (my rule is dont buy one for more than you can sell it on for if it doesnt fit)

With regards to selling I try to sell locally only, I take full payment and give them 24 hours to return it if its not suitable. I dont give them longer to faff about with saddlers etc as there is a risk it will get damaged the longer they ahve it and the 24 hours I offer is far more of a chance than they would get if they bought unseen from Ebay