Saddle Co' question...

mainpower

Visit site
When Saddle Company saddles are altered is it the whole gullet or just the front arch which is changed?

I'm asking because my youngster is having frequent growth spurts, and I bought him an adjustable synthetic, it came with the medium gullet, which was too narrow, but the saddle sat level on him with that in, albeit too high. I got a wider gullet which made the front end of the saddle fit better, but now the pommel sits lower than the cantle instead of being level.

I've been offered a cheap SC saddle, I havn't tried it yet, but don't want the same problem I had with the synthetic.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
When Saddle Company saddles are altered is it the whole gullet or just the front arch which is changed?

I'm asking because my youngster is having frequent growth spurts, and I bought him an adjustable synthetic, it came with the medium gullet, which was too narrow, but the saddle sat level on him with that in, albeit too high. I got a wider gullet which made the front end of the saddle fit better, but now the pommel sits lower than the cantle instead of being level.

I've been offered a cheap SC saddle, I havn't tried it yet, but don't want the same problem I had with the syntheti
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

I had same problem with a synthetic, I'm not sure of the answer with a saddle company saddle but a numnah with shims helps level the saddle and gives some room for muscle development . Why not ring a saddle co fitter and ask?

mainpower

Visit site
I had same problem with a synthetic, I'm not sure of the answer with a saddle company saddle but a numnah with shims helps level the saddle and gives some room for muscle development . Why not ring a saddle co fitter and ask?

I've just spoken to SC HQ but there are no fitters in my area, so would involve sending the saddle away with a template. She said that it's just the front gullet that is changed, and then extra deep gussets would be needed as well.

Decisions decisions.... :)

ThePony

Visit site
The only tree I know of that has a changable front (inc stirrup bars) is the Albion Genesis - not all of their saddles use them. The others I am aware of only change the gullet, which of course doesn't mean the saddle will continue to fit.
With your synthetic, have you spoken to your saddler about what can be done to help the fit? Alot can be done between the gullet, flocking and riser plates to improve the fit of a saddle.
I have to admit that I wouldn't bother with a SC saddle, the ones I have had in for repair aren't good quality for the price. There are better saddles out there for less imho.

mainpower

Visit site
Thanks for replies so far, will probably have a look because it's cheap, I intend to get a brand new saddle when he's finished growing! He's a "funny" shape at the moment, flat wide back, but narrow below if that makes sense, ie not a leg stretcher!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There is no way to change the back of a tree. SC can move the panels further apart or together to change the width of the gullet, but if you were making from scratch you might make the width of the panel different to compensate - the panel should not hit the ribs below the muscle that carries the saddles, so you can't just widen them willy nilly. You can also of course have deeper, gusseted panels put on but I presume you pay for a complete new panel - you can have that done with any saddle, though it might be cheaper with SC than some as the serge may be cheaper (not sure?) but the labour would I expect be the same.