Saddle fit (again) this time for baby horse

Casey76

Visit site
The saddle I was borrowing to back my baby horse was needed by it's owner, so I no longer have use of it.

Yesterday I tried three saddles on Blitz; my Wintec obviously didn't fit at all (tree too curved); my HM Fhoenix is too painfully wide and I felt too perched and stretched!

The last saddle I tried was my mares Prestige event saddle, which i think I OK, but would like a second opinion or two - if you don't mind ;)

(same proviso as before, I don't have access to a trained saddle fitter, and any "saddle fitter" at a tack should would use padding to make a poorly fitting saddle "fit" a horse, if it was good for the rider)

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

TIA :)

Wheels

Visit site
Looks too narrow to me & potentially too curved as well.

I would try having it widened and then have another look as it will sit differently then

Casey76

Visit site
Thanks both :) Unfortunately having it widened itsn't a possibility as it does fit my mare.

Back to the drawing board then... I have one more saddle to try before I resort to having to buy one (It's ridiculous the number of saddles I own!)

Any idea where I could look for an Wintec equivalent of 3XW, but with a flat, native tree?

I've just paid 3000€ to get my car fixed, so finances are (a lot) tight at the moment :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks both :) Unfortunately having it widened itsn't a possibility as it does fit my mare.

Back to the drawing board then... I have one more saddle to try before I resort to having to buy one (It's ridiculous the number of saddles I own!)

Any idea where I could look for an Wintec equivalent of 3XW, but with a flat, native tree?

I've just paid 3000€ to get my car fixed, so finances are (a lot) tight at the moment :(

I have just ordered a Ghost treeless saddle for my difficult to fit little mare. She has a really flat short back and can't take a treed saddle that is long enough for me. They are made in Italy but are shipped worldwide.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, sorry, it's completely the wrong shape for him behind. The front on shots indicate that the tree is also too narrow. :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

thorowgood trees are flatter.

Casey76

Visit site
I can't buy Thorowgood saddles in a tack shop here.

I'm limited to Wintec/Bates (which I know don't fit), Norton (ick - cheap and cardboard-y), Stübben or Prestige. (or DelGrange or Devoucoux if I went through an agent rather than a shop)

I guess we're going to be mastering ground, in hand work, lunging and long reining until i can get something sorted out!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Can you not buy a thorowgood on eBay and have it shipped to France? I sold a saddle on eBay and sent it to France, I doubt it's uncommon, and if you have spare saddles you could sell them that way too. You know the measurements of the saddles you have which are too narrow, so buy something with a wider arch or preferably an adjustable arch. A cob model should give a wide gullet and flat panels too.

Casey76

Visit site
No doubt I could, but I've never seen a Thorowgood in the flesh, let alone sat in one, and I would really prefer to try a saddle before buying one (due to me having dodgy hips. I also have a very short thigh, so a lot of dressage saddles have the support in the wrong place for me - which is the only reason I'm selling my utterly gorgeous Prestige Venus K)

I might just have to save up and see if I can get my hands on the new Prestige Venus VS. If I can get one M2M, I could get it in a "non standard" width.

WelshD

Visit site
Rideaway have a decent range of cheaper saddles and do ship to France very cheaply if thats any use

ester

Visit site
I'd think a 2nd hand thorowgood shipped over would be minimal outlay to be worth the risk IMO and at least you still have the option of width changes.

ester

Visit site
The trouble is if none of the seen options fit I don't see you have much option OP, as not sure I'd want to buy a M2M for a baby yet.

Palindrome

Visit site
Lots of UK online stores ship to mainland Europe and some have a very good return policy so worth to have a look around. Eeek, I am moving to France in 5 days and haven't sorted my horse's saddle so will have to find something suitable or a saddler over there to adjust the ones I have. Sounds like it will be difficult.

ETA: alternatively there is a Thorowgood retailer based south of Paris and they hire out for trials
http://www.quelleestlameilleureselle.com/essai_de_selle_thorowgood.html
(have never used them)

Last edited:

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Don't buy a m2m as he/she will change sizes a dozen times! I've had to sell my lovely saddle in order to buy a thorowgood for my baby horse as he's too flat backed for most trees and I daren't buy him a nice leather one yet as i'll have to replace it soon when he changes shape! You can buy thorowgoods for about 80 pounds on ebay - I'd never tried one before I bought it but its lovely!

ester

Visit site
yes at least that would give you more brand options (including thorowgood) without international postage!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He really is exceptionally wide. I think treeless would be a good option and then at least it will accommodate any change of shape.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's exactly what I ended up doing with my grey. She might be rivalling your horse in the width stakes as she's a bit of a table top too. I have a 2nd hand Solution Freestyle dressage saddle for her and I'm very pleased with it. I do have a barefoot treeless as well, but if I used it for her I might need to put the soft arch in due to her width.