xgemmax

Visit site
Hi everyone, I have had my saddle around 3 years and it’s a second hand silhouette gp which I have had regularly checked with no issues until recently. I have always used sheepskin lines saddle pads.

Horse started having small lump on spine behind withers, saddler thought it was sitting too low in front so added more flicking, cue lumps appearing further back around spine instead! Had second saddler out for another opinion, I mentioned I thought flocking looked lumpy throughout and saddler agreed - had saddle completely reflocked and seemed fine for first ride. Saddler suggested just using cotton numnah as shouldn’t need sheepskin now. Then lump appearing behind withers again A few rides in, seems better adding sheepskin half pad so use that. A few more rides in and lump appearing again, saddler back out at this point as had to add more flocking after it had packed down after reflocking. She thinks lump due to sitting too low in front again. First few rides back lump seems better but now it’s come back and I’m losing the will!

saddle seems to sit evenly, does not look low in front and is stable but something must be causing these lumps! They are hard to touch and assuming fluid filled as they go down within half hour or so of untacking. It’s hard to see in photos with his colouring but will try to attach a photo.
Any ideas what it could be? I’m thinking perhaps the saddle has got damaged in some way which you can’t see but loathed to buy new saddle if I don’t know what’s causing problem and it appears to fit!
I should also mention that he’s only in walk work at the moment so it’s not like I’m doing anything particularly taxing either!

Henry02

Visit site
Could you get the saddle stripped down? Or how about seeing if you can find a cheap synthetic saddle that fits well enough and see what happens with that

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Can’t see a picture but if the lumps go down after riding then I would also be inclined to change the pads I’m using to see if it’s those causing a reaction? Or perhaps it’s a heat reaction? It’s been very warm recently! And lots of flies too so perhaps bites that are then aggravated by the saddle?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have come across this twice, with saddles that fit well.

The first saddler told me it was because the saddle fitted. Nah, no believe that. But that one wasn't my horse, the owner was told to simply ride and after a couple of months it would stop. That is exactly what happened.

Then... my current horse had the same. Many lumps down the spine, but this saddle fitted so well that I could actually see the lumps in the clear gullet area whilst I was ON the horse!

2nd saddler explained that, when a saddle fits with no bridging or rocking, it is like if you grasp strongly round your thumb base. If there are no gaps, your thumb will swell slightly. With the horse, the saddle is fitting so well that any small faults in the horse's vessels leak slightly. I was advised that, as long as the swellings are good to touch and go down promptly, to ignore them.

I was in a quandary, as the saddle was beautiful and on a week's trial. The clincher was that the horse liked the saddle more than any other, so it stayed, and, like the first horse, the swellings stopped soon after taking into general use.

My saddle fitter fits several saddles a day and says he sees this effect maybe twice a year, and only ever with saddles that are a good fit.

I was a disbeliever the first time, but have to say that in both cases it was correct. This was with lumps on the actual spine, where the saddle doesn't touch. Any lumps on the flesh are different and need attention.

eahotson

Visit site

The first saddler told me it was because the saddle fitted. Nah, no believe that. But that one wasn't my horse, the owner was told to simply ride and after a couple of months it would stop. That is exactly what happened.

Then... my current horse had the same. Many lumps down the spine, but this saddle fitted so well that I could actually see the lumps in the clear gullet area whilst I was ON the horse!

2nd saddler explained that, when a saddle fits with no bridging or rocking, it is like if you grasp strongly round your thumb base. If there are no gaps, your thumb will swell slightly. With the horse, the saddle is fitting so well that any small faults in the horse's vessels leak slightly. I was advised that, as long as the swellings are good to touch and go down promptly, to ignore them.

I was in a quandary, as the saddle was beautiful and on a week's trial. The clincher was that the horse liked the saddle more than any other, so it stayed, and, like the first horse, the swellings stopped soon after taking into general use.

My saddle fitter fits several saddles a day and says he sees this effect maybe twice a year, and only ever with saddles that are a good fit.

I was a disbeliever the first time, but have to say that in both cases it was correct. This was with lumps on the actual spine, where the saddle doesn't touch. Any lumps on the flesh are different and need attention.
Very interesting.

xgemmax

Visit site

This sounds very similar to how my boy is, the lumps are definitely down the gullet channel and not being touched by the saddle ? only trouble is they’ve been coming up now for around 3 months now, sometimes worse than others so worried they are not going to go away. The saddler did mention something about damaged blood vessels, how long did yours take until it went back to normal do you know?

xgemmax

Visit site
Could you get the saddle stripped down? Or how about seeing if you can find a cheap synthetic saddle that fits well enough and see what happens with that
I think I may see if I can borrow a saddle from a friend and see if that makes any difference

xgemmax

Visit site
Can’t see a picture but if the lumps go down after riding then I would also be inclined to change the pads I’m using to see if it’s those causing a reaction? Or perhaps it’s a heat reaction? It’s been very warm recently! And lots of flies too so perhaps bites that are then aggravated by the saddle?
Thankyou, sorry don’t seem to be able to get photo to work! Perhaps it might work this time, it’s hard to see in pic anyway because of his colouring. I had thought perhaps heat lumps but it even comes up if not hot and I am only walking so not sure!2EB903BE-48DD-40EC-87FE-A2BC88FB1DB1.jpeg544D53F2-3A9F-4E58-8A25-9C4EA8B5F4D3.jpeg

Red-1

Visit site
That is what mine were like. It quickly stopped happening when I was incorporating a bit of rising trot (or jumping), it didn't happen schooling at all. It took about 6 months before it stopped when I was just walking on a hack. That makes sense with the explanation I was given.

With mine, if I put a less well fitting saddle on, it stopped.

I decided to be guided by the horse. She was really happy with her the saddle that did this, less happy with the dressage one that did not!

xgemmax

Visit site
That is what mine were like. It quickly stopped happening when I was incorporating a bit of rising trot (or jumping), it didn't happen schooling at all. It took about 6 months before it stopped when I was just walking on a hack. That makes sense with the explanation I was given.

With mine, if I put a less well fitting saddle on, it stopped.

I decided to be guided by the horse. She was really happy with her the saddle that did this, less happy with the dressage one that did not!

Ok great thanks that sounds like it might be same thing my boy has then. I found this online which explains what could cause them, https://schleese.com/saddle-fit-and-bumps-and-blisters/ would make sense if saddle was too wide and now fits well?

I tried a friends saddle on him which fitted pretty well and he still got the lumps so at least I know there’s nothing wrong with my saddle!

hopefully once he’s allowed to do a bit of trot work that might help where I’m not just sitting on his back the whole time. Currently recovering from sdft injury which is why we’re only walking ?

Red-1

Visit site
It was certainly a leap of faith, especially as the offending saddle was on trial and very expensive! The clincher was that she was so much happier in it, not girthy, happy to be mounted and moved freely...

No 1 in saddle fitting, for me, is believing the horse. Mine will tell you before you have even tightened the girth if one is not going to suit.