saddle fit, opinions please

just-me

Visit site
Ok, sorry im rubbish at explaining what i mean so i will try and take a pic so you can see... but If i put the saddle where i would like it to be - tree points 3 fingers behind the scapular it just doesn't sit properly. The place where saddles naturally want to sit is further forward.

just-me

Visit site
It's too high at the front and I'm sure he would be better in a straighter cut saddle as the jeffries seems to be coming over his shoiulder.

I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if it's been mentioned already, but Wintec make a special "wide" saddle, with a straighter cut and slimmer panels . Might be worth considering - I think you can get them new for about £350 from Equestrian Clearance or Wintec stockists. Get the flocked one, not Cair!

Hi, Have tried that one! Tree was VERY curved, daylight behind the last 6"! Part of my problem is i need a forward cut gp or jump saddle and all the "cob" saddles are vsd or wh :(

just-me

Visit site
more photos with the saddle further back (not girthed up)
105_3765.jpg

105_3760.jpg

not sure if you can tell anything from this or not
105_3785.jpg

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Ok, sorry im rubbish at explaining what i mean so i will try and take a pic so you can see... but If i put the saddle where i would like it to be - tree points 3 fingers behind the scapular it just doesn't sit properly. The place where saddles naturally want to sit is further forward.

Yes, I think I getcha :). I'd say they're all just a bit high in the pommel. Hopefully we'll get there with a used NP. Other options to look out for, unless you've already tried, are the Ideal H&C and the GFS Haffie trees - for me they dont' work quite as well as ours (but I'm rather biased clearly) but they do work for many. As you've gathered it is much harder to find something more forward cut - big native/cob shoulders are hard to fit with a jump saddle, and you may well need a thick half pad to lift the saddle away from the scapula. A proper use for one!

just-me

Visit site
I nearly bought an H&C! but was put off by a chat with my local sadder who said that it would be unlikely to work with him being croup high as it would sit to low and tip me forwards. Oh well, fingers x for the NP!

Chamfrom

Visit site
Just a quick reply - to find the correct place for the saddle to sit, find the end of the scapula, place two fingers after this point - just after this is where the point of the tree should begin :)
To find the last rib (T18) place your hand on the flank area lower down - (forget for now about saddle area) - you should find the last rib relatively easily - you may have to press in a wee bit. With the sharp of your hand trace this rib up towards the spinal processes. Now that is where the saddle should not ever go behind as this is the last weight carrying rib.
Hope that helps :))