saddle fitter scottish borders

sallyballybee

Visit site
who knows a saddle fitter in the borders?? i need someone to come and see monty soon, but i'm not wanting a expensive leather saddle because he is going to change shape alot throught the summer as he loses weight....thought about treeless as this is what he wears just now but having second thoughts...

JenTaz

Visit site
Stirlingshire Saddle Fitters travel to the borders, im not sure if they do treeless saddles but they have second hand leather and synthetic saddles, they also have them new as well x excellent service and very reasonably priced

nixxyz

Visit site
Lee Valley saddlers in Galashiels have a good reputation and are fully qualified, also heard good things about the saddlers from Stirling.

sallyballybee

Visit site
Its stirlingshire I've used before but was under the impression they only did new saddles, pops was really expensive. So that's great that they do second hand too :)

thistledonicely

Visit site
Personally wouldn't touch Stirlingshire and know others that feel the same. But equally I know folk who rate them so horses for courses I guess. Bear in mind they can get pretty busy over weekends as they do a lot of the bigger shows.
Lea Valley are good, really thorough consultation and good after care. They will also flock/restuff onsite which Stirlingshire don't. They are pricey as tend to make made to measure saddles although they will come out and check a saddle you've found yourself.
If you look on the Society of Master Saddlers website I'm sure you can do a search by area. Might be worth seeing if any from north of England will travel up...?

Reactions: TPO

gillianfleming

Visit site
I wouldn't touch Lee Valley again after the problems i had, also wasn't that impressed with Stirlingshire after problems with them not turning up when i'd made an appointment although that was a few years ago now.
I really rate Elise at Grange but would probably depend how far south you were.
The other would be Geoff Brown he's Newcastle way i think.

The Trooper

Visit site
Any more, up to date thoughts guys?

So far have been looking at Cicely Jefferies, Alene at Stirlingshire and Lee Valley.

Ideally I'm looking to have my current saddle adjusted, whether that is possible or not I don't know (Wooden tree). If needed I'll be looking to buy a second hand saddle.

Abi90

Visit site
Cicely Jeffrey fitted my saddle and she’s very good. And answers your emails at 0430 in the morning!!

TPO

Visit site
Not sure what area she covers but Laura Simpson of Amayzing Saddlery has built a really good reputation. She is however very busy and it seems to be a wait to get a first appointment. She is a master saddler as well as a fitter so can do onsite adjustments as far as I'm aware.

A bargepole for Louise at Stirlingshire here too, no experience of Aileen

HeyMich

Visit site
Cicely Jeffrey came and fitted my awkward shaped horse recently, and I found her really helpful and knowledgeable. I would recommend her, and she's based in Hawick I think.