Saddle fitting - slipping or covering shoulders

wallykissmas

Visit site
I've recently had my saddle fitter by a qualified master saddler, I explained it slips to the right this could be caused as horse is stiffer to the right and I suffer with my right hip.. However....

I was advised that the saddle fitted it just needed girthing correctly with first and third straps being used on the left (when sitting on the horse ) third strap to be one hole higher than the first and first and second straps to be used on the right (when sitting on the horse). Second strap to be one hole lower than the first.

This however seems to allow the girth to be tightened more than normal and now seems to be making the saddle move up and cover the horses shoulders. Horse is a round and chunky cob with decent shoulders and you can tell the difference when the saddle is slipping up. I can feel the slack in the girth so am worried if lose will cause slipping but tightening is causing it to slip up over his shoulders.

I'm a bit stumped as I just don't feel this is the right saddle for him but have been told it fits. I'm conscious of not putting the saddle to far forward also.

OrionDuca

Visit site
I'm having an issue with my chunky cob too, i'm getting a different saddle fitter out, maybe try that? A second opinion can't be a bad thing :)

wallykissmas

Visit site
Not that I've noticed or the saddler mentioned. When slipping forward it seems even and I ran my hands down both sides equally. Saddle has also been flocked which I forgot to add and it needed some at the front both sides.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Have you read the article I linked to when I edited? It says that the saddle slips towards the lame (or lamest) leg. So your saddle slips to the right and his stiff leg is his OH. It could be linked.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Saddles can slip to the side for all sorts of reasons, asymmetric girthing may be helpful temporarily as the muscle evens up. Have you both been checked for straightness by someone like a McTim chiro?

Tightening the rear strap more than the front strap would possibly pull the saddle forwards, I would girth evenly anyway, even when on different straps. Have you been back to the fitter and explained what is happening? If the saddle fitter came to you the law covers you for a 7 day trial even if the fitter didn't mention it, so act fast, put it in writing to the fitter as well as phoning.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Who do you use? I use Liz from Mill Saddlery for my round. short backed cob, she is excellent with non-standard and remedial horses/ponies and fits for WHW. If you current saddler doesn't get back to you and remedy the problem perhaps you could give her a bell for a 2nd opinion. Also get your back looked at, we are so quick to get the neds sorted out but neglect ourselves, think of it as doing it for your horse if that helps!