saddle for a very very wide haflinger mare?

Visit site
I have a very very wide backed halflinger cob mare; to the point where an extra wide wintec saddle pulled out at its very farthest won't fit her. I have had a treeless saddle I have been using, however now that I have worked over 50 kilos of fat off her, it slips. Because she is a rescue horse, she has been previously abused and when ever she sees something frightening she will bolt for kingdom come; and I have no hope of stopping because she is so frightened that all her muscles in her neck freeze up preventing me from either pulling her round or driving her into a fence to stop. My problem is that I can stay on long enough to calm her down because after about 3 times around the arena the saddle slips. The last time I got flipped over a fence and got whiplash... I am starting new training exersises to combat her fear, however the saddle needs fixing. If I was to get a new one which one should I get?
Thanks Issy.

Last edited:

touchstone

Visit site
I had an Ideal H&C in xxx wide on an extremely wide 14hh Fell. I haven't seen a wider saddle and my saddler ordered it from Ideal direct for me.

Anna*

Visit site
I have a Lavinia Mitchell on my haffy - similar to the Balance saddles suggested above. There is a Facebook page - 'haffy addicts' - and it's worth asking there. Everyone is very friendly!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Scroll down to page 8 in this link, have fitted a few and they do seem to be good for the Haffies

http://www.gfsxch.co.uk/downloads/xch-saddle-range-brochure.pdf

Oz (Saddler)

I had one of these. Gorgeous saddles! Expensive new, but you can get them second hand for £350-500. I loved mine but it was just far too long for my cob. Mine was 17.5" but measured closer to 18" so just be aware that they come up big.

They are absolutely nothing like a wintec! They are much better designed and built. They do have an adjustable gullet, but thats the only similarity. The tree and panel shape is totally different.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I had one of these. Gorgeous saddles! Expensive new, but you can get them second hand for £350-500. I loved mine but it was just far too long for my cob. Mine was 17.5" but measured closer to 18" so just be aware that they come up big.

They are absolutely nothing like a wintec! They are much better designed and built. They do have an adjustable gullet, but thats the only similarity. The tree and panel shape is totally different.

Thanks FC... its a few years since I have looked at a wintec and wasn't sure. It does look a lovely saddle.

Hanson

Visit site
I had a round wide cob with no withers and had a rolled tree Ideal saddle, really comfy for me too.

But I also found using a 5 point breast plate helped...gave me something to grab as she was quite sharp and spooky.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've got a very wide Traddie cob; tried a wintec with the 3XW gullet in it, just hated the thing. It was the most unstable saddle I've ever ridden it, two independent people told me OK so it fits, but I just hated the feel of the saddle generally.

Tried a Thorowgood T4 and was so uncomfortable in that I had to get off and walk after half an hour.

I now ride in a "Tree Free" saddle, the new Tor one they've brought out, it is fantastic, and I can use it for all the horses I ride from 12.2 Exmoor, Welsh D, and traddie extra wide.

Best advice if you want a treed saddle is to ask an Andrea Hicks fitter to come out and have a look at yours OP. But just a word to the wise: make sure you do get the "AH saddles" and not another company out there which also fly under the banner of "native pony" saddles..........

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site

Thanks, saved me a job typing it! Wintecs are awful, never liked them and had to fit loads!

pippixox

Visit site
i also have an ideal, custom made via a saddler by ideal, as my mare is xxw. very few other makes actually go wide enough! no bolting problems with her, but any other saddle was always slightly slipping from side to side, effecting my riding and causing uneven tension over her back. she is so happy with her ideal and so am I. expensive but worth it. occasionally a second hand xxw might come up but not often sadly!