Saddle for a Warmblood/ISH ? Help please!

Blizzard

Visit site
Beau came with a wintec Dressage saddle, I hated it, but because he was so underweight and lacking condition, and it fit him well, I didnt want to get a new one until he had filled out and muscled up.
Anyway, he has had a few months off, he is coming back into work now but the dressage saddle is now far too small for him, it looks like a pony saddle and is nowhere near wide enough even with the extra wide gullet in.
Now Im a bit wary of going out and buying an expensive saddle because as he gets fit again he is going to muscle up and change shape, but, obviously I need a new saddle!

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend a saddle, ie, people with similar horses, which brands may suit his shape?
He is at least an extra wide, 17.3hh, ISH x WB, 7yrs old, and still filling out.

One of my concerns is that he has enough spine clearance because obviously he is a big horse, and while you can adjust the front of the wintecs the rest of the saddle will always be a medium.
Im ideally looking for a VSD, however I need a saddle I can have longer girth straps attached to, because when I tried Lance's GP on him last weekend, even with a 58" girth it wouldnt go around his belly because he is so big.
confused.gif

Thanks for reading!
smile.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
I have a Fieldhouse saddle and a 60" plus size girth. Fits pickle really nicely jeffries saddles fitted pickle really badly (spine clearance wise) but may not be the case with you.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thanks Jess, I think B and P are similar shapes, my YO is a saddle fitter so Im hoping to pick up something on ebay for a few hundred quid for now, get it reflocked, and then when Beau muscles up and changes shape again, put it back on ebay and buy him a new one.

Hence me trying to get some ideas now!
smile.gif

where did you get the 60" girth from?

JessPickle

Visit site
pickle came with 2 HUGE girths he was a right fatty and his old saddle had really really short girth straps, I have a string girth that is enormous that he came with you can have if you want

CBAnglo

Visit site
I am a bit biased but I would say Saddle Company!

The tree is adjustable so as your horse develops it can be adjusted to fit - this means not only changing the width of the gullet but also the tree itself.

I fitted one on my CB who has withers but a broad flat back - he has grown 2 inches upwards and outwards in the last year and I have easily adjusted it to fit him.

Another adjustable saddle is the Kieffer, but this has to be sent to the factory for adjustment rather than be adjusted on site by a SC fitter.

zoesophie

Visit site
This is Oscs saddle

http://www.kieffer.net/cms/content/view/9/2/lang,en/

Its a 17.5 (I think from memory
crazy.gif
) but the best thing it the gullet can be changed. I got this coz he was very underweight (as beau was) and when he muscled up they took it away (actually sent it back to Germany I think) and changed it. Might be worth researching as Im no saddler but works for us!

zoesophie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

your link took me to the homepage hun, what is the model of Oscars called?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oopsie
blush.gif
- its the Kieffer Garmisch - tis great coz its multi purpose and you can remove both the knee and thigh rolls if need be.

LizzieJ

Visit site
My big mare - 17.1hh dales x has a Frank Baines extra wide jump saddle and a Frank Baines dressage saddle same width fitting. I tried to get a gp for her last year for hunting as the jump saddle has short straps and I only have 1 60 inch girth but I couldn't find anything to fit her apart from a brand new Frank Baines. When she is super fit it is a bit easier - the Ideals in a wide fitting seem to fit quite well.

Hollycat

Visit site
WOW saddles can be adjusted to fit as the horse changes shape. I am very happy with mine indeed. My horses back has broadened out within a month of getting his so it will need to be adjusted again soon. Imagine if I'd got a traditional saddle and had to sell it so soon
ooo.gif

catembi

Visit site
My ISH (very much like the one in my avatar) has a WOW & we both totally love it. He is 5 so is likely to change shape in the future as he matures.

There are some more photos of him in the PG if you want to see his build & how he looks in the wow...

fairhill

Visit site
Chloe has an xw silhouette WH saddle, and it's a great fit for her. They're only around £550 new, and I think do made-to-measure for the same price. My old saddle for Meg was a silhouette as well - was made for a huge ID stallion, but he grew out of it. They really are nice saddles.

Chloe had a DH Samber before that, again a good saddle for the wider horse.

I've got a heritage on Meg at the moment, as I need a W+, and have also got a gorgeous XW Ideal H&C VSD with long girth straps, but it's a bit wide for her at the moment. I'm hoping she'll grow a bit wider by summer!

Blizzard

Visit site
Thanks again everyone, yes I had considered a WOW, its just the price!

Thanks Fairhill lots of options there, I do love Ideal saddles and have been admiring the VSD.
smile.gif