Saddle for showing - ideas?

pootleperkin

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to get organised for our jaunt to HOYS and the main problem seems to be finding a suitable saddle!

As I already possess perfectly good jumping and dressage saddles for G, I really don't want to have to pay megabucks for something to show in (remembering we have to do some jumping in the riding club show horse class), but finding anything that might fit is proving difficult!

My saddler has recommended that we look for something similar to his jumping saddle, which is a Black Country Wexford on the freedom tree, as he has quite a wither, but is also wide. So I have been looking for black country VSDs etc in this tree, but nothing coming up! She then said that Albions with the K2 tree might do (though pricey) or Ideal Josephines....my budget for a reasonable second hand saddle is max £400.

Any ideas for other saddles that might fit? His dressage saddle is a Barnsby on an APS tree and fits like a glove. We need something 17.5'' to 18'' for me as I have a long hip to knee.

humblepie

Visit site
Did read and think as have showing saddle that used on my no longer with us horse just sitting gathering dust and would have happily lent that to you if it fitted. However that is very straight cut so don't think it would suit although I did once jump a cross pole in it!!!

Think you are right looking at the VSD or a working hunter saddle rather than totally showing saddle as you have to jump.

Don't have any other suggesting unfortunately.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Not sure if you'd find one in budget but you could hunt around for a used Native Pony saddle - the Glen or the M&M would suit for WH classes depending on your preference and riding style, they both come in two trees, the medium twist is not quite so wide but a similar curve front to back as the freedom tree, the wide twist is a similar width but slightly flatter.

Some horse WHs do compete in jump saddles, not so common with ponies and M&Ms though.

khalswitz

Visit site
If you're looking for something not too expensive but still nice looking, you could try the Saddle Company - they do VSD and WH style, with adjustable trees. My event saddle only cost me 400 new. Worth looking at if you want a less expensive saddle.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If it helps, I used to do 3'6" worker course in an Ideal Ramsay straight cut show saddle (on a cob, so no mane either!) - it is perfectly possible.

A second hand showing saddle usually retains its value, so you could purchase something now and then sell it in October if you don't think you will get any use out of it.

Bear in mind, the judges can see past a saddle that is not straight cut, but the overall look will be better if you can get something that shows off the shoulder.

Sprig

Visit site
I have just bought an Oakfield Santana WH saddle and really love it. I paid £300 for a barely used one.

pootleperkin

Visit site
Thanks all - will have a mull over suggestions :D

Khalswitz - as I'm not going to use the saddle massively and it is for a very definite purpose, so long as it fits and looks good (and is reasonably priced) then it will fit the bill - I'm not so bothered about name. The saddle co saddles look nice - I might ask for prices on the show and WH saddles - they look ideal.

FMM - I agree with you about jumping in something fairly straight cut - I did G's first, albeit it tiny, ODE in my dressage saddle as I had nothing else. However, I might be a bit more of a mere mortal than you (!), so I wouldn't mind something slightly more WH cut, given that is what i might go on to do! G has a fab shoulder though, so I do want something to show it off.

Last edited: