Saddle help and questions

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Looking for some saddle advice.
I've been using a thorowgood t6 on my cob for the past 3 years ago. It's been adjusted to fit as we went along but have finally accepted that she's just too wide and flat backed for it to work any more.

YO has a lovely Frank Baines saddle that she's looking to sell, it was custom made and fitted before she bought it basically brand new.

I've tried it, ridden in it and it's lovely, built on a hoop tree so fits my table top of a cob.
Never had the luxury of a nice saddle so thought I'd ask on here if Frank Baines have a good reputation? Are the durable? Also it's a VSD model which to me just looks like a straighter GP cut, again only ever had synthetic GPs.

One thing that's slightly bothering me is that it's foam panelled rather than traditional flocking. Any advice on this?
Saddle fitter coming on Thursday so will see what he says

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
VSD by definition is going to be straighter than a GP. It can be good for those with bigger shoulders. I’m not so keen on foam because if it goes lumpy you may struggle to replace it as many saddlers won’t have the ability but it can most likely be taken out and flocked with traditional flocking if needed. See what the saddler says re fit for both of you before you decide about buying.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
VSD by definition is going to be straighter than a GP. It can be good for those with bigger shoulders. I’m not so keen on foam because if it goes lumpy you may struggle to replace it as many saddlers won’t have the ability but it can most likely be taken out and flocked with traditional flocking if needed. See what the saddler says re fit for both of you before you decide about buying.
Thank you, straighter cut is what we need, my girl has enormous shoulders and has been near impossible to fit anything to perfectly. Thanks for the advice re foam, will mention it to saddle fitter see what he has to say

Andrew657

Visit site
I bought a second hand Frank Baines for my old horse - which I rode in for many years.

I must say it wore very well over those years. It was a traditionally flocked saddle not foam.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Frank Baines are top quality English saddles.

Foam deteriorates over time, it can go lumpy, it can go hard, or it can collapse. Foam panels are generally a different shape than flocked panels, it's not usually advised to simply fill the same "bags" with flocking.

I disagree that a VSD is generally a better option for bigger shoulders, it's an obsession in so much of saddle fitting, but it's not true as often as people think it is. Shoulder freedom, and stability, comes from the fit, and the flap is generally only an issue if a horse has both big shoulders as well as a lack of muscle behind them, AND you can't go down a seat size or two. I can generally fit most wide, flat horses with big shoulders with a GP at least.

And hoop trees vary hugely, many do have a wide pommel but the rails are a terrible shape for wider flatter backs, the whole tree shape has to work. I'm just recorded a video on hoop trees but it won't be public for a while I'm afraid.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Frank Baines are top quality English saddles.

Foam deteriorates over time, it can go lumpy, it can go hard, or it can collapse. Foam panels are generally a different shape than flocked panels, it's not usually advised to simply fill the same "bags" with flocking.

I disagree that a VSD is generally a better option for bigger shoulders, it's an obsession in so much of saddle fitting, but it's not true as often as people think it is. Shoulder freedom, and stability, comes from the fit, and the flap is generally only an issue if a horse has both big shoulders as well as a lack of muscle behind them, AND you can't go down a seat size or two. I can generally fit most wide, flat horses with big shoulders with a GP at least.

And hoop trees vary hugely, many do have a wide pommel but the rails are a terrible shape for wider flatter backs, the whole tree shape has to work. I'm just recorded a video on hoop trees but it won't be public for a while I'm afraid.
Thank you this is so helpful!