Saddle help - ?Ideal Nyala

kinskycookie

Visit site
Hello!
Haven’t posted on here for a while but can anyone offer any saddle advice?
I have a 6yr old WB, big shoulders , long high wither, fairly broad along his back and I’d say still growing/filling out.
His current saddle is 17.5 K and M high wither GP, he is now filling out nicely everywhere but still has very poor muscle/top line development behind withers and it seems to be where saddle is too tight behind his shoulder. I’ve increased his workload but he’s struggling to stride out, especially in trot transitions and the hollow behind his wither seems to be worse, rather than better, from the increase in ridden work. 🙁
Think it’s time for a different saddle (it hasn’t really suited us for a while) and wondered wether anyone has any suggestions for a gp/jump which will allow a big moving shoulder to move and also clear a ridiculous wither (which now seems even more prominent!).
Current favourite is ideal Nyala but there doesn’t seem to be many reviews or much info about them anywhere ?
Thanks for reading if you made it this far!!

HeyMich

Visit site
I would probably get a reputable saddle fitter out with a range of different makes and styles and see which one fits your horse best. I don't think anyone can really advise on the suitability of a particular saddle model without seeing the fit on your horse. In my mind, a good saddle fitter is worth their weight in gold, and will save you money in the long run.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have only had an ideal Jessica but they are a good brand if saddle, at the end of the day you need something to suit your horse in your shoes with him being wide I would go with a brand that cater for the wider horse, I have Arabs and they are both in x wide saddles I had trouble with the wider one nothing seemed to fit, so I ended up with a Lavinia Mitchell saddle they fit them wider then use a shim pad to allow the horse to fill out, it was the best thing I ever did he moves so much better in it and his back and top line really improved, she has a website and on Facebook take a look it is also the most comfy saddle I have ever ridden on.

asmp

Visit site
Agree with HeyMich - get a good saddler to come and assess your horse. Our Appy X NF has big shoulders and has just changed shape. Our master saddler has altered his Kent &Masters as much as she can but has said he preferably needs a new saddle. She has told us to look out for an Ideal H&C saddle in a certain size and width.

be positive

Visit site
I would probably get a reputable saddle fitter out with a range of different makes and styles and see which one fits your horse best. I don't think anyone can really advise on the suitability of a particular saddle model without seeing the fit on your horse. In my mind, a good saddle fitter is worth their weight in gold, and will save you money in the long run.

This, your new saddle needs to be very carefully fitted to allow for muscle development behind his withers, if fitted to how he is now it will continue to restrict him so you will probably find a good fitter will suggest something wider that requires some padding or shims while he builds up and it will need regular checking, possibly reflocking until he is where he should be.
At the moment the saddle is probably too narrow and an increase in work will make matters worse because the muscle cannot build up if it is constantly restricted.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't set your heart on a particular make of saddle because you may well be disappointed when that make just won't fit your horse. We had a saddler come along to fit a saddle for us & our horse at the time was Hanovarian x TB. He had broad shoulders & high withers. The saddle fitter took one look & ruled out various makes due to his shape. We ended up with a Harry Dabbs jumping saddle which fitted him great. That was 10 years ago & he still has the same saddle. Another make that would have suited him was Jaguar apparently. Baxically decide on the type of saddle you need, jumping, dressage etc & let the saddle fitter decide which fits him best & go with that.

kinskycookie

Visit site
This, your new saddle needs to be very carefully fitted to allow for muscle development behind his withers, if fitted to how he is now it will continue to restrict him so you will probably find a good fitter will suggest something wider that requires some padding or shims while he builds up and it will need regular checking, possibly reflocking until he is where he should be.
At the moment the saddle is probably too narrow and an increase in work will make matters worse because the muscle cannot build up if it is constantly restricted.
I think this is what has happened - saddle fitter has come out and taken profile, says he’s lost weight and is then adjusting the k and m to a narrower fit. I can see now though that this saddle can’t go wider as it will drop too low on the withers and as he moves the side to side movement is banging on the arch of saddle where the gullet bars are screwed on. Need to find something that will sit wide enough to allow muscle to develop but also clears withers 😕

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I agree re. leaving space to allow him to develop, I would source a different saddler if this hasn't been happening.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It sounds like he possibly needs flatter and wider rails, the tree shapes in changeable headplate saddles only offer so many options, try looking for saddles designed for wider horses. The "junction box" behind the wither is SUPER important yet is catered for by the bit of the saddle that isn't seen as is the least understood by horse owners.