Saddle help - nothing fits...

MagicMelon

Visit site
So my horse has always been a nightmare to fit a saddle to. I had two different saddle fitters out over the years (who sold several different makes like a traditional saddler), the first basically said she was impossible and I had to buy a saddle off her which was the best I could make do with - it was a thorowgood and I absolutely hated it and it slid sideways badly so I got rid pretty quick. The next saddler had nothing that would fit her and suggested treeless but I SJ and event a lot so that wasnt an option. I then got my WOW fitter out and we adapted my current WOW to fit her (with an H girth etc.) but still the saddle has always slipped to the side a bit to the point that usually half way round a SJ round I need to try to straighten it in between fences which is such a massive distraction for both of us. There MUST be a better option out there that stays put?!?!

The mare is like a barrel, she is round with a very forward girth groove (Ive never been able to lunge in any saddle as they would shoot up her neck) and with no wither. She's Anglo Arab with 1/8 Irish basically. I've tried various girths including shaped ones and sticky ones. The best Ive found is a grippy honeycomb type one with no elastic. Ive tried numerous "sticky" saddlecloths but again, they dont do anything.

I really feel its holding us back but I have no idea what to do next. I dont want to pay saddle fitters to come out if they either cant find one in their truck to fit or are one of the fitters for one brand only as I feel they might just try to make one of theirs fit. Help?! Are there any particular brands I should perhaps try that might suit this horses shape?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
If she's that round it might help although I am not sure it will help with the shooting forward issue. maybe with the right girth and girth strap arrangement it might do.

MagicMelon

Visit site
If she's that round it might help although I am not sure it will help with the shooting forward issue. maybe with the right girth and girth strap arrangement it might do.

Thanks, it doesnt shoot forward when Im sitting in it - only if I try lungeing with the saddle on (and no rider). But its the sideways slippage thats the issue :(

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Tammy the wonky has spavins. She has a Mattes 4 pocket correction numnah which can be shimmed asymmetrically to stop the saddle slipping to the right. Two shims in the front left pocket and one in the back right pocket kept it steady, though I’ve been able to remove the shims after she’s had her SI joint medicated.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Saddle slip is usually hind limb lameness. I'd follow that up first.

This.

My boy has had a stifle injury. When he was coming back into work the saddle would slip left as he would not use his LH much as he still thought it hurt and his RH was the powerful one that would shove us left.

Once we got him straightened out we had no more saddle slipping. So anytime a saddle slips now we look at the horses way of going before saddle.

Other than that I would have a look at the companies that market for native type horses.

We have a AH on our elephant and its fab for him.

A friend has a Native pony and she loves it on hers.

Reactions: TPO

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I had a lot of trouble finding a saddle for my anglo. In the end the 3rd saddler I tried popped a saddle on that was being sold at my yard because the saddle was there and the horse was there, so why not? Thankfully it fitted. It is a Jeffries Elite jumping saddle, not really what I was after as a happy hacker, but it's been fab for her. :) I think this photo shows her low wither, well sprung ribs and forward girth groove at this angle (the chestnut). I never managed to find the perfect girth, but a W shaped one with good shaping for the elbows was the best.

Attachments

• Carrie_Melody.jpg
    Carrie_Melody.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 5

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thanks, it doesnt shoot forward when Im sitting in it - only if I try lungeing with the saddle on (and no rider). But its the sideways slippage thats the issue :(

Don't worry about what a saddle does on the lunge (though I Understand it can make some horses unhappy), it's not a true test of saddle fit. The slipping to one side could indeed be asymmetry to the extent of lameness, but sometimes it's just horse or rider moves asymmetrically, do make sure you are going to a chiro/osteo, doing pilates etc as necessary, as well as have the horse checked and always be working on straightness (in hand training like straightnesstraining.com might be a good idea).

You have a very experienced wide horse fitter right on your doorstep :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Get someone to video you and the horse whilst riding. Does the saddle slip when someone else is riding ? It might help to see if the problem is due to the way the horse moves or whether you're not straight.