Saddle pad for big horse

PatchyMum

New User
Visit site
I have an 16.1hh ISH who's very draft built. I ride in a K&M 17.5" GP saddle W/XW which fits him really well & is saddler checked.
The problem I have is the saddle pads. I use Lemieux mainly using full CC shape, left overs from my previous TB. He doesn't have much of a wither but isn't flat. I'm finding that the saddle is the same length as the pad so doing up his Atherstone girth can be a pain as well as his pad moving a bit. As well as that his pads can start to curl up away from him shoulder/wither when working, even though I use the velcro on the d rings. As he's a big lad, I also can't have a thicker pad!!
I've tried Roma (bit better at the front on the shoulder), Rheingold (worse than LM). Whittaker ( waaayyy too small).
I can't use a dressage pad with him and this saddle as they don't come far enough forward.
Help...fed up of researching pads. Before I get the sewing machine out ANYONE GOT ANY OTHER OPTIONS FOR ME?
❤️❤️????

HeyMich

Visit site
I have an 16.1hh ISH who's very draft built. I ride in a K&M 17.5" GP saddle W/XW which fits him really well & is saddler checked.
The problem I have is the saddle pads. I use Lemieux mainly using full CC shape, left overs from my previous TB. He doesn't have much of a wither but isn't flat. I'm finding that the saddle is the same length as the pad so doing up his Atherstone girth can be a pain as well as his pad moving a bit. As well as that his pads can start to curl up away from him shoulder/wither when working, even though I use the velcro on the d rings. As he's a big lad, I also can't have a thicker pad!!
I've tried Roma (bit better at the front on the shoulder), Rheingold (worse than LM). Whittaker ( waaayyy too small).
I can't use a dressage pad with him and this saddle as they don't come far enough forward.
Help...fed up of researching pads. Before I get the sewing machine out ANYONE GOT ANY OTHER OPTIONS FOR ME?
❤️❤️????

OMG, I could have written this post! Every single detail the same, including the brands we have tried and failed. Thanks for posting this, I'll be following with interest. Now to work out how to sneak even more new pads past the hubby...

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Mattes, I've got a Dove grey forward cut saddlecloth which fits nicely under my 18" saddle. Not cheap though. I also have some HKM Gently ones which are just big enough, could be more forward cut for my saddle which is an event saddle but would be fine with a GP.

Reri1826

Visit site
Another vote for nuumed. They are a really helpful company and will custom make for you if the XL doesn’t work.

ETA they do a WH cut that might work to stop the curling.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I recommend https://horseandridersupplies.co.uk/ 100 per cent. I have bought some very expensive pads for my big 17.3 lump of a horse until I stumbled across this site. Unbelievable quality at a very reasonable price. The sizes really do come up huge! Normal large in other expensive makes just looks silly on him - but I could almost get away with this companies cob size on him because they are so generous. Very well made and sit beautifully under the saddle.

DorisTD

New User
Visit site
Ps of Sweden and Equestrian Stockholm are good sizes and beautiful. Sell your Le Mieux - they seem to be very popular atm.